loud sharp noise as my new Canon iP8720 warms up to print

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1430 HP 932 Canon iP8720
Just got a Canon iP8720 last Saturday and the installation went rather smoothly. I got it for doing b/w prints, and the first print was beautiful. However the printer puts out a very loud and sharp noise. It's a single shot, almost like a .22 rifle. Loud, I'm telling you, loud! Not only loud but sharp!

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If new or still under warranty then call Canon Technical Support. Be prepared to tell them exactly when in the process of printing the noise occurs.

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
All is well... what I was hearing must have been some breaking in noise. Nice and smooth now.

But thanks for the tip, stratman!

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Actually it's a Remington.

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well, my joy is heart-lived. I noticed that the noise is practically non-existent when printing a matte paper and approaching its high level of noise when printing gloss. I usually use matt paper so this not a big problem for me, but would like the printer to be easier to live with all around.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
No one has come forward to say they also noticed a rifle-shot level of noise with their new Canon printer or even their old Canon printers. Maybe what you are experiencing is well out of the ordinary.

What would Matte vs Glossy paper have to do with noise level if all other variables are the same?

I do not understand why you are ready to overlook something that concerned you enough to post on the forum but not give Canon Tech Support a call for a printer that is under warranty if for nothing else than peace of mind and a paper trail if the loud noise continues or other odd occurrences happen.

Unless the printer's not under warranty.

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Very sorry, stratman, and others as well. I'm brand new to Canon printers. I looked for Canon tech support on their website but couldn't find the correct place to go. I confess to taking the easy way out, in this case it was this website, Printer Knowledge. I've been here before, regarding another printer, another issue and received a lot of help for which I'm grateful.

I'll give it another go, by that I mean I'll spend more time on the Canon website. However, I hope I'm still welcome here.

Paul

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I don't know the iP8720 but I have the smaller iP7250 of the same cartridge generation that might be considered a European A4 version of your printer. I just powered it up to do a maintenance nozzle test print and nozzle cleaning. Although the printer is more noisy than older Canon printers of the PGI-5/CLI-8 cartridge generation it only made normal start up and cleaning and printing noises, no sharp clicks or bangs.

Could you make a video with sound and upload it to a free file sharing site? There is no need to join Youtube. Here is a thread with links to a free file sharing service and examples of printer videos.

Edit: The files are no longer available for download. It seems they don't keep them forever when using the free service.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I looked for Canon tech support on their website
If the printer is under warranty then call Canon Tech Support.

1-800-652-2666Monday-Friday: 8:00 am to 8:00 pm

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/contact-us-by-phone

I hope I'm still welcome here.
Of course you are. But don't waste your time here when you should discuss with Canon this potential problem with a new printer. If need be, Canon does warranty replacements. We do not. ;)

When done with Canon please do post here your experience/results with Technical Support.