Lot of PGI-9 Cartridges

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
Hello, if you remember my old posts I had problems with a Pro 9500 mkII, while i still wasn't able to clean the old one i got from a friend another used perfect condition one.

So I have now 2 Pro 9500 MkII

But apart the printers I would ask here about the cartridges... Since my bought in 2013 of the printer I always kept stored the used cartridges.

The photos below show how much of them are, my question is the following:

Are they still useful? Am I sitting on a pile of gold or them are just junk?

Aside the drying of the ink inside they are kept stored in a good environment dry without dust or anything...

Can them be safely used again without clogging a working printer? It's possible to clean them heavily with chemicals first? What procedure to follow before refilling them considering this cartridges are sitting there for years ?

Can them be sold and in case what price do you suggest? I believe just the original chips are worth something considering that the original cartridges still sell for 18$

there should be at least 60 of them

DSC_0698-01.jpegDSC_0700-01.jpeg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
PGl-9 carts are very valuable to those that know how to re-use them in other printers, but mostly now they are just ornaments, I also have lots of these carts too, 76 in fact.

As you have stored all the carts with the original clips on, they don’t need any special cleaning to reuse them, just reset the chip and refill and they’ll work like new again..

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
PGl-9 carts are very valuable to those that know how to re-use them in other printers, but mostly now they are just ornaments, I also have lots of these carts too, 76 in fact.

As you have stored all the carts with the original clips on, they don’t need any special cleaning to reuse them, just reset the chip and refill and they’ll work like new again..
thanks for the reply, yes i stored them with the original cap on however even in this case I fear that putting them back after years could clog the printhead without cleaning a bit the old ink, there's no solvent I can use?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
there's no solvent I can use?
If you still feel you need to give the carts a bit of a clean before use, then use the ink, by injecting one or two ml of ink into the carts, then suck the ink out and in a few times and that will also revitalise the cart, discard the used ink..:)

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
Oh good idea, didn't think about the ink itself, but I read in another topic about a pharmacist solution not only for print heads but also a different formula for cartridges, is that for another use case?

best regards

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Yes, pharmacist's cartridge conditioning fluid id intended for use with the sponged cartridges like BCI-3 and 6 and newer generations of cartridges.

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
Ah I see :)

If you still feel you need to give the carts a bit of a clean before use, then use the ink, by injecting one or two ml of ink into the carts, then suck the ink out and in a few times and that will also revitalise the cart, discard the used ink..:)

About this I generally use to refill the pgi-9 cartridges by dropping ink drops on the sponge and verify with a scale the weight, how to suck out manually the ink from the cartridge? Laying a needle on top of the sponge and sucking could work?

Thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Laying a needle on top of the sponge and sucking could work?

No...
You can modify a cartridge clip yourself and make your own refill clip or you can buy them already made, from octinkjet.co.uk...
PGI_9.JPG PGI_19.JPG click to enlarge

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
oh yeah I've heard of it, it seems that i have to make one out of one cartridge cap :)

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Maybe the orange clips still have some value for people who got PGI-72 carts (PRO-10) without them.

Since they are internally the same I sometimes use a PGI-9 in the PRO-10 with a transplanted chip.