Looking to replace a much older Canon printer; current or older model?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
take a look over are the one & two star printer reviews at Amazon
You could be here forever, because you’re not going to get a premium printer like the 4300 ever again, the current crop of new printers all have some issues that you don’t like, so therefore it’s like pissing up a rope, in the end you’ll just have to make a choice.

P.S. Amazon reviews are all one sided, they only reflect what the new owners don’t like about their new printers.. Sound familiar..

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4300 & Panny KX-MB271
That's the idea, what's wrong with the item, especially when a pattern develops, not what's right which the manufacture goes out of his way to advertise.
I never really considered the 4300 "premium". :idunno

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I never really considered the 4300 "premium".
Those iP42xx models were all premium printers, they were the best of the best, but they died after they pasted the iP4700 model, now it’s a guessing games as to which printer is the easiest to use and refill.. The Eco tank printers are a poor pacifier in my opinion..

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
May be I should ask, of the recent models (current or 1 generation previous models), what models or series of models have resettable carts if any?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
what models or series of models have resettable carts if any?
The problem isn’t with the resetting, it’s more like these carts are opaque and it’s not easy to ascertain when they are full.. and that then leads to other problem of running out of ink.. All Canon desktop printer are now a real hit and miss for Refillers..
Refilling these printers has become a real crap shoot…

P.S. You can use compatible refill carts, but they too have their own set of issues also..

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Knock on wood, but refilling I have been fairly successful with it Both with my old i560 and now with the 4300. It's the printheads where the problem is. I have a 2nd set of carts all reset & refilled I just swap out with the carts inside the machine as needed tiring not to run the carts dry. ;)

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Its a pity you are restricted as far as physical size goes because the Maxify are easy to refill and the cartridge size is big enough to do a lot of printng before any need for refilling. You can use 3rd party carts which some of us have tried but the most reliable is adding ARC chips to original carts and refilling them.

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Are those AIO machines?
Are you talking about the TS/TR 8320/8520?

Last edited:

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Yes they are AIO machines. I use the MB5150 as a genral printer and it has been working well here for about 3 years. There are two cart sizes, the 1500 and XL 2500. The XL black cart holds 70 ml so runs for a long time before refills.
I chose that model as it has sheet feeder and can do duplex printing. There are quite a few different models to choose from.

Last edited: