looking for silver and gold inks to be used in canon printer

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Is it possible, I'm looking for gold ink to be used instead of yellow and silver instead of black?
The inks must have metallic look when printed.

The experiment would be performed on single use PGI black CLI color cartridge.

Any suggestions welcome.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
One thing: those inks are definitely pigment inks, so be careful about it: I think you should stick with the PGI-5Bk cartridge first, since this is certainly to be able to handle with pigment ink. I tried pigmented ink in CLI-8 cartridges and this gives unsatisfactory results as the ink is not sucked fast enough into the nozzles, giving massive banding at higher print speeds.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hmm, I read on some scrapbooking site that if I print using gold or silver ink it will still not look right. I mean it will not look metallic. Is that true?

They recommend printing using laser printer whatever you want to cover in gold, then use gold foil covered by plain paper. The gold will stick to the black toner. You can use iron or let it trough the laser printer one more time.

What do you think about it?

Froggy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Smile said:
Hmm, I read on some scrapbooking site that if I print using gold or silver ink it will still not look right. I mean it will not look metallic. Is that true?

They recommend printing using laser printer whatever you want to cover in gold, then use gold foil covered by plain paper. The gold will stick to the black toner. You can use iron or let it trough the laser printer one more time.

What do you think about it?
Don't know about the ink, but the laserjet idea should work in theory.

Laserjet toner is a "secret" mixture of plastic, carbon black (the standard black pigment) and perhaps some iron oxide for magnetism. The PC send the image to the laser, which draws the image on the "drum" with the laser diode / LED. This image exists as an electrostatic charge, to which the toner particles are attracted. The toner is transferred to the paper, which is heated to melt the toner onto the paper (hence the need for the plastic in the mix) Or such is my understanding.

So in theory, you can get the foil to stick to the toner if you heat it enough to melt the toner again. Worth a trial or two, I would expect you would have to restrict your designs to fairly bold, simple designs. Lettering might be fiddly though.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Froggy said:
I would expect you would have to restrict your designs to fairly bold, simple designs. Lettering might be fiddly though.
That is the problem I need fine detail to print. Canon ES-30 Slephy seems to have gold/silver capabilities hmm...