Looking for reliable UK-based CISS supplier

Matthew P from UK

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi! I am from the UK and I have just bought a Canon Pixma 4850.

Now I am trying to buy a continuous ink supply system (CISS) to match.
I figure that what matters is the BRAND of the CISS, and the reliability of the supplier.

So I'd like ask forum members living in the UK, which CISS supplier have you found to be reliable?
Which system works? And which doesn't?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
You do not use CISS on Canon printers, but refill the original cartridges. Unlike Epson printers there is no reliable CISS system for original Canon ink cartridges and even 3rd party cartridges will not perform as good as original ones.

Reason: unreliability in ink flow, no matter which brand and where it is made, due to the nature of the printhead of the system. Therefore: save the money and spend it on good quality refill ink (dye for the colour carts, good pigment for the large text black, the necessary syringes) and stay happy for a long time to come.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Matthew P from UK So I'd like ask forum members living in the UK,
which CISS supplier have you found to be reliable?
Which system works? And which doesn't?
The best place to buy a CISS in the UK is cityinkexpress without dough;
they have excellent units and good quality inks + good support if needed.

That said pharmacist Has made a very valid argument against using a CISS on a Canon printer,
which should be given some serious taught before you make any purchase.

A CISS is only something that you'll need if your going to print a couple of thousand sheets a month
otherwise its a total waste of money, your time, possibly your print head and printer when everything starts to go wrong.

Try the refill route its much easier than you think and a far more enjoyable method to use than a CISS.
Do a search on here for what equipment youll need and how to use it,
there are lots of threads on the subject and also check out the FAQs on octoink.co.uk/ on the best inks and refilling methods..

Matthew P from UK

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Well, I do print quite a lot. I'm a writer so I work on a piece, then print it, then correct, then print it again. It is a necessary part of the process. I am not sure if it amounts to 2,000+ a month, but it is at least 1,000 per month.

I am not really interested in the print quality. I just want speed and volume.

I tried the injection systems and found that my clothes got full of ink. I also have an office in the Philippines, a country in which CISS are very commonly used. We have an HP printer, the predecessor of the HP OfficeJet Pro 8000. Super printer, it spits paper out at a wondrous pace. We found the CISS much easier to maintain than the injection systems we previously used, which would always run out of ink, requiring a staff member to traipse to the toilets to refill the system without causing damage.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Matthew P from UK

Well you did ask and we gave you our best advice so do with it what you think is best good luck.. :thumbsup

Matthew P from UK

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Yes indeed, and your advice was very helpful indeed.

Would you give the same advice about HP, i.e., that HP printers are not really good for CISS? If Canon is somehow special, then I really have to worry. But if you feel that HP falls in the same basket - difficult printer-heads - then I'll probably go for a CISS for the Canon, given that output quality is not a big issue for me.

I understand that Epsons are the easiest to adapt to CISS, but in my experience they are slow. Also a little noisy.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Matthew P from UK Yes indeed, and your advice was very helpful indeed.
Canon are notorious difficult with CISS if not used daily, setup is usually easy but maintenance is high (time consuming). :hit
I dont know anything about running CISS on HP but Epson is much better able to handle CISS;

its a case of horses for courses..