Looking for refillable cartridges for Canon MX7600

jeffw

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Canon Pixma Mx7600 and it is my first inkjet printer. The cartridges that came with it are about out and I would like to replace them with
refillable ones. The cartridges are listed as the PGI-9 series. I have found replacement cartridges online but not refillable ones. Does anyone have a source tha
might have this one. Thanks

siusiuenen

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The best refillable cartridges is the OEM, why don't you just use those and save your money. You can find a lots of information here. Refilling for PGI-9 just as same as Cli-8.

jeffw

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks. That seems like a reasonable approach. I did a search on refilling and found one tutorial that while not dealing with my specific cartridge did show in pictures the process of drilling a small hole and using a syringe. I guess I just have to source out the ink and the syringes and give it a try.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
If you are planning to refill your Canon cartridges, I would recommend the German method where you poke a hole in the back end of the cartridge rather than drill a hole on top. Can you link to the tutorial?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
ghwellsjr,

the MX7600 has a rather different design and cannot be refilled using the german durchstich refill method. These cartridges (PGI-9) are the same as in the Pro 9500 and use special spring + inkbag inside the cartridge. I think it will will become a completely mess...

jeffw

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
pharmacist,

If what you say is true it would seem my only options are to find refillable cartridges or put in new non-refillable Canon cartridges. I have only found one source for refillable cartridges at http://www.efillink.com/index.html. I got this reply from an inquiry.

" I do have the refillable cartridges for the Canon PGI-9 PBK/C/Y/M, 4 color set. 8 oz ink set + a set of cartridges with chips + syringes for $188. This 8 oz refill will replace about 20 sets of cartridges. The chips will reset by pulling the power cord or by removing the cartridge and reseating it. The chip resetter is available ( $25 ) to reset the Canon chips, but the resetter will not reset the PBK. Save your Canon chips for back up if they are ever needed for troubleshooting."

This is rather expensive but I suppose it would be worth it in the long run. Also I am not sure what restting is or why it is necessary.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Thanks pharmacist for pointing out my bad advice. I'll try to remember that for next time. I had no idea Canon was deviating from their normal cartridge design.

Jeffw, (I hope this is correct for these cartridges), the newer Canon printers keep track of how much ink has been used in a cartridge and record that information in a chip on the cartridge as well as report that information to the user as ink levels so that you know when it is coming time to buy and then install a new cartridge. Notice I said "buy" a new cartridge. Canon wants you to buy a new cartridge from them rather than refill your cartridges so you need to "reset" the chip so that it thinks it is new to keep the printer from complaining. However, since the hackers have not figured out how to reset some of the chips in some of the cartridges (apparently this printer is one of those), they take another approach which is to design their own chips that reset themselves everytime power is removed and reapplied. But this has the disadvantage that you never know for sure how much ink is left in the cartridge because it will almost always say it is full.