Looking for CLI-226/PGI-225 backup cartridges

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
Yes, I've already bought the refill kit and resetter, and can't wait to use them, but I've come to the conclusion that I could really snooker myself if I don't have another cartridge at the ready for the unpredictable moments when they run out. So, that means I have to bear another one-time cost so that I don't wind up inkless when I'm already late for something. I've looked around this forum, but I don't see a lot of talk about suppliers of these cartridges. What can anyone recommend? My printer is a Canon MP6120.
Please note, I'm in Canada.

Also, is there anyway to change the default font I see for this forum? It's painfully small and I don't see anywhere in my profile to change it.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
PenguinLust said:
Also, is there anyway to change the default font I see for this forum? It's painfully small and I don't see anywhere in my profile to change it.
This works on Firefox and Internet Explorer (maybe Opera too, but I don't use it, so...) :

"Ctrl" and "+" to increase the size of the font
"Ctrl" and "-" to decrease it
"Ctrl" and "0"(zero) to go back to default size (Firefox only)

If you use Firefox you can select "zoom text only" from View - Zoom

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
Firefox, actually. Thanks, that worked very well. Unfortunately, it hasn't helped me see any recommendations for cost-effective backup cartridges. :(

BTW, I don't know why I was so sure my printer is an MP. It's an MG6120.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
A source of backup PGI-225/CLI-226 cartridges is buying virgin empty OEM cartridges from eBay, Amazon or similar. You could also buy virgin empty OEM PGI-220/CLI-221 cartridges. They have a window, making refill easier. They can be used instead of the other cartridges, if you transfer the PGI-225/CLI-226 chips to them. As everybody wants the windowed cartridges the newer opaque cartridges may be much cheaper.

One more zoom trick, works in Firefox and Internet Explorer: Hold CRTL key down and use mouse scroll wheel to zoom in and out.

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
Hmm... empty virgin, eh? eBay didn't have a whole lot in the way of 225/226 and Amazon didn't have anything. Google searches keep bringing me to http://inkjetreset.com but they don't ship to Canada.
Is it that much of an advantage to have transparent? Since the amount of ink has to be measured by the syringe anyway, the only advantage I can see is in being able to see the needle find its way into the tank. Also, if I get the 220/221s then I'd still have to have as many of the real things to cannibalize their chips. And how easy and reliable is that anyway?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Octoinkjet UK , owned by forum member websnail may have some. Link here: http://www.octoink.co.uk/categories/Refill-Tools{47}Kits/Empty-Cartridges/

I don't know about shipping rates but you find contact info here: http://www.octoink.co.uk/kb/contact.php

You may also be able to find a used printer, using the same cartridges or the windowed ones. It may be worth buying just to get the cartridges.

Expensive but the best is a set of new OEM cartridges. You will then have a set of cartridges in top condition and with a known history.