Looking for an Inkjet for low prodution brochures (11 x 17) edge to edge

Roveer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Looking to buy
This one is a bit off topic, but something I will need to read up on for my project. Software for producing my brochure? I see a lot of "free online" tools, but I'm sure they are all inferior or geared towards a particular printing company. I've used Adobe products in the past but there are so many different products I wouldn't know where to start. Then there are simpler "brochure maker, flyer maker" type packages. Again, not looking to get the Cadillac of software for my Volkswagon project but want something that will do a good job. Thanks.

Roveer

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
When you print edge to edge which is really borderless, will cut off about 5% from the edges of your designed pages so plan for that!
Something that will allow you to use a CISS might work better so you are not constantly changing cartridges mid jobs.

Joe

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The make-up of artwork that is then used in brochures can be done in several different Applications, but there are only two that really work well that are stand alone that don’t need intervention from any other Application.

The two kings are Quark Xpress and Adobe InDesign and using a Microsoft Application for brochure make-up and print-out is somewhat cumbersome to say the least and should be avoided where possible, they do work but…

There can be are no shortcut in brochure design because any taken will show up immediately in your print-outs costing you a lot of wasted time paper and ink, if you decide to send it to a print outlet then convert to PDF before hand, good luck with your project…

Roveer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Looking to buy
The make-up of artwork that is then used in brochures can be done in several different Applications, but there are only two that really work well that are stand alone that don’t need intervention from any other Application.

The two kings are Quark Xpress and Adobe InDesign and using a Microsoft Application for brochure make-up and print-out is somewhat cumbersome to say the least and should be avoided where possible, they do work but…

There can be are no shortcut in brochure design because any taken will show up immediately in your print-outs costing you a lot of wasted time paper and ink, if you decide to send it to a print outlet then convert to PDF before hand, good luck with your project…

I did a little poking around after I made this post and quickly came to the same conclusion. Quark for MAC, InDesign for PC. Then I realized that 6 or so years ago I did a 2 sided post card sized flyer using in-design and sent it off to be duplicated. That was a successful project. I'm no graphics designer by any stretch and even know InDesign has tons of features and can be a little daunting I was able to do what I needed. I had no idea how it was going to look coming back from the printers but I was very happy with the result.

I also did some poking around with online printers and was able to see that for the 11x17 2 sided brochure I'm looking to create their costs were only 100-200 dollars for 100 pieces. Really makes me think twice about buying a printer and doing it myself. If I did more of this type of work I think it would make sense, but I'm probably going to rip this thing out, get it printed and then not do another marketing project for a long time. Still pondering.

Thanks for all the great information about printing/printers. You guys really know your stuff.

Roveer