looking for advice on replacement printer

mberndt100

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
New to these forums. Looking for some advice on a new inkjet printer to replace an aging Epson Stylus Photo R220. I need something with fairly specific abilities, namely I need it to print on very heavy paper of all different varieties, and I need it to print on envelopes.

I currently use the R220 to print greeting cards and invitations, and it does a pretty good job but I really have to force paper in there sometimes. It also jams up quite often on envelopes, and a lot of times it mangles the envelopes as well.

I'm also considering using a CIS so I would like to find a printer that is receptive to that type of thing.

Currently I'm leaning towards either the Epson R280 or R380. I don't want to spend too much because in my experience over the last few years of doing this, inkjet printers only last maybe 12-18 months before the decline in print quality is too much to use professionally.

Thanks for any advice!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Take some envelopes and card stock to the nearest store with demo units on display and test them. You can do a test print (8.5x11) without a computer. The extra ink will just go into the waste ink pad, but you will find out if the printer can handle the paper stock you want to print. I did that last month for a laser printer and am really glad that I did. If no one in your area has working demo units out I would find the store that has a no-questions-return policy. You can look up the specs regarding envelope printing and weight of stock supported, but you will never know until you try it.