Longevity of a Pro 100?

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have a Pro 100 that's 6 years old and working great. I'm not a high volume printer, but print regularly (the printer is never idle over a few days, often print an invoice, etc.). I have refilled with Precision Color inks from day one. What can I expect for the life of the printer and the life of the printhead? How many years have you folks gotten from your Pro 100s?

PS: I do have a new Pro 100 in storage, with printhead, as a backup).

Thanks!
Fred

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The Canon Pro 100 is a tough old thing and can last ten years or more, so don’t worry a thing about it, on the other hand the print head won’t last, it can drop dead today or whenever the print cycle is reached, it’s a replaceable part..

Once the print head goes just pop in a new one and on you go printing into the sunset, just remember to purge your carts when they show signs of poor ink flow, happy printing..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The Pro 100 is replaced by Pro 200, which uses the same QY6-0084 print head, so I think that print head will be available for five or so more years.

Take good care of the Pro 100 as it is much more refill friendly than the Pro 200.

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
@avolanche, consider yourself lucky for owning 2 sturdy and reliable Canon Pro-100 that you can refill with good quality third party ink.
People looking nowadays for a new A3 photo printer will sure envy you..:D

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
@avolanche, consider yourself lucky for owning 2 sturdy and reliable Canon Pro-100 that you can refill with good quality third party ink.
People looking nowadays for a new A3 photo printer will sure envy you..:D
I probably paid too much for them ($49 US after rebates plus free 13x19 paper-50 sheets and selling the ink on Ebay). Those Canon rebates were amazing! I do feel lucky to have an extra + a couple of heads. Maybe they will outlast me.

Fred

PhilE

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 10
I have a Pro 100 that's 6 years old and working great. I'm not a high volume printer, but print regularly (the printer is never idle over a few days, often print an invoice, etc.). I have refilled with Precision Color inks from day one. What can I expect for the life of the printer and the life of the printhead? How many years have you folks gotten from your Pro 100s?

Thanks!
Fred
The ink waste pad filling up is the eventual weak point of longevity because it cannot be user replaced. So, keep in mind minimizing purge and cleaning cycles which occurs when you change ink carts or turn printer off and then on. -The thing NOT to do is unplug printer because when you plug it in again, it will do a purge (most ink used) All the ink goes into ink waste pad and when it is full, basically that's the end of printer life. I have had my Pro 10 since early 2019 and no problems. I refill with OEM switch all carts at once.

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Take anything you hear or see in Jose Rodriguez videos with a few grains of salt..
The waste ink pad counter of a Canon Pro-100 (and most other models ) can be reset and the pads washed or replaced, although this is a messy operation that requires previous disassembling of the printer's upper case. Doable but not easy.
Many users skip the pad washing process and just reset the counter, placing a tray under the printer, in case of an eventual ink overflow.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Is it difficult to reset the counter?

Thanks!
Take anything you hear or see in Jose Rodriguez videos with a few grains of salt..
The waste ink pad counter of a Canon Pro-100 (and most other models ) can be reset and the pads washed or replaced, although this is a messy operation that requires previous disassembling of the printer's upper case. Doable but not easy.
Many users skip the pad washing process and just reset the counter, placing a tray under the printer, in case of an eventual ink overflow.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Not really. There’re two parts :

1- Enter service mode. Depending on the model of printer, the method changes a bit.

2- Once the printer is in service mode, you open a program called ‘software tool’ that allows you to reset the counter, among other things. You can purchase it online for a few bucks.

VERY important: check carefully that the version of the software tool is compatible with your printer. If you use the wrong version, service mode will be blocked forever and you won’t be able to reset the counter of this printer.
That program works only in Windows and you must connect the printer by USB cable, No other printers should be connected at the same time, only the one to reset.

For more details, there’re people here with far more knowledge about this matter than myself. They can tell you where to find/purchase the software tool; the version that you need and the steps that you must follow to enter service mode,

( calling PeterBJ .. :D )

Latest posts