Lightweight Double Sided Coated Paper??

minami

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro9000 mark II
I've been printing some photo catalogues using my Canon Pixma Pro9000 and matte double sided paper from Red River (I've also printed catalogues with HP and Epson double sided matte paper too). Only problem is, it practically depletes an entire cartridge of ink each time I print a catalogue. I've printed tons on Canon glossy paper, and it didn't suck up the ink as much as porous matte paper - does anybody know of a good double sided coated paper (8.5 x 11 size) that I can use instead of a matte? My problem is not being able to find one thats under 32lb weight. Basically I'd love to find something similar to magazine paper, but cut size instead of on rolls.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The only suggestion I can make to you is to source some digital photo copier paper,
there are many different types from matte to satin gloss surfaces. (All perfect for inkjet)

The other problem you face is weight if the paper is to light then you get show through
from the other side, and you should consider printing in standard and not in high quality mode,
which would save quite a bit of ink too.

Two sided glossy inkjet paper is available but would cost more that the ink itself,
another alternative paper to consider using is laid paper that would hold the quality
and look just as professional as glossy paper.

Question: - are you using OEM or 3rd party inks ?

minami

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro9000 mark II
I'm using oem because I'm printing art photo catalogues and I thought the quality would be better with oem. I've found a lot of double sided glossy inkjet paper, but they are all 32lbs and heavier and I need something I can fold in half and staple.

I've found "glossy laser paper" but have not purchased because I don't know how my printer would take it.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
I was going to suggest HP Glossy Brochure paper but it's 48 lb.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The biggest problem you’ll face if you use light weight paper is show through;
this is where the printing on one side soaks through and is then very visible on the other side
which in turn affects the overall print quality. (Not good)

Have you considered using spiral binding instead of stitching (staple) your paper together
that would work with thicker paper and would look really nice,
you can pick up a binding machine and plastic combs in most hobby and stationary stores ?

You could also use thermal binding to seal the edges or even just use plastic slide binders
but which ever method you go for, 100gm would be the minimum paper weight
for quality two side printing..
Binder.JPG thermal.JPG combs.JPGsliders.JPG

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
I've used Red River "Zepillin" dbl sided gloss to make calendars in the past and found that there's no showthrough. However, it is a 45lb paper but feels thinner to me.