LIfting out cartridges on ip 5300

Tabriz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Can anyone advise if there is a way of lifting the cartridges from my ip5300 without the printer flagging up a printhead clean.
I have tried lifting the tanks with the printer disconnected from power and then replacing them but somehow the printer remembers that the carriage has been centered and starts a printhead clean before the next print.
This being a new printer I have no idea how to open the cover to expose the printhead carriage.
The object is to be able to measure ink levels directly.
I hope some of the experts on this forum can advise.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Tabriz said:
Can anyone advise if there is a way of lifting the cartridges from my ip5300 without the printer flagging up a printhead clean.
I have tried lifting the tanks with the printer disconnected from power and then replacing them but somehow the printer remembers that the carriage has been centered and starts a printhead clean before the next print.
This being a new printer I have no idea how to open the cover to expose the printhead carriage.
The object is to be able to measure ink levels directly.
I hope some of the experts on this forum can advise.
Perhaps not relevant to your model, however I tried this with an i850, but there was a problem.
I figured that the little white 'tit' (you can see it on the extreme right of the printer when the head is out of the way) was what prevented the head from moving when it was parked.
There is a notch on the underside of the head assembly just the right size to mate with it.
I covered it up with some sticky aluminum tape and sure enough I could move the head around when the power was off.
The problem showed up when I tried to print after power up.I would get an lamp error indicating that it was out of paper and nothing would happen until the tape was removed.
Somehow it locks the head but is also tied in with paper detection.
You can see in this image where the 'tit' is down and up and taped.
tapedupap4.jpg

Defcon2k

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
afaik you can just lift the carts and check the ink levels. The printer won't do a head cleaning process unless you change an empty cart with a full cart, or a cart without ink level indicator with a new cart.