Lexmark X1185

Dugger

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
About a year ago, I bought a brand-new Lexmark X1185 for $35 (including shipping). It's a 4-in-1 (printer, scanner, copier, fax); and, to make a long story short, the damn thing works better than it has any right to! Is it as good as a $300 machine? No, of course not. But for my everyday purposes (letters, reports, a lot of OCRing, scanning photos, and an occasional copy and fax), it works just fine. The #16 (black) and #26 (colour) cartridges are a bit on the pricey side (roughly $30 each), but they do hold a fair amount of ink. My only real caveat is that users should stay away from the #17 and #27 cartridges. They're a little cheaper; but in my opinion, are rip-offs, because they hold a ridiculously small amount of ink. You do need to have your computer on for the X1185 to work--even for copying--but that hasn't been too big a problem for me.

I'm writing this because I think a lot of people are in the same boat I'm in. They want something to handle their everyday needs, and they don't want to spend a lot of money. The X1185 fits the bill quite nicely. It's not for heavy-duty commercial use, but it's great for everyday jobs, and the cost won't break your budget.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Lexmark has just about the best and perfect cartridges.... for their interest....not as good for refilling as some of the other makes.

ustilago

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I refill the 16/26 and 17/27 cartridges way too often.
They only hold 10-12ml of ink (Black/colour).

I've heard that people complained about the prices on the 16/26 so Lexmark, being the brilliant marketters that they are, dropped the price on the 17/27 cartridges by 25% (and only fill them half as full).