large format printers

tedstriker

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a large format printer for artwork but I don't really know much about them. I looked on the HP website at deskjet 9800 13" by 19" and the deskjet 70 18" by 24". I just like some recomendations on these or other large printers. thanks

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I presume that you are going to want long-lasting prints, so my personal suggestion to you is to try to find a slightly used Epson Photo 2200...maybe on eBay?? It is a wonderful printer, and the 2400, it's supposed replacement, is not as good overall due to occasional printhead problems. If longevity is NOT an issue, the Canon 19900 produces sabsolutely superb 13 x 19 prints. The cost is about 50-60% of what it was a year ago, and there still many available.

Good luck!!

WhiteDog

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
When you say "artwork" you willl need to be specific about paper weight. The i9900 will handle only up to 245 gm/sq/m and does not offer a straight paper path, but has non-chipped cartridges. Also, the i9900 is restricted to 22.75" of print length. The Canon Pro9000 does have a straight paper path, but has chipped cartridges with potentially superior color rendition. We are not clear about the print length limitation. There is supposed to be a Canon Pro 9500 with extra ink tanks for grayscale printing, but as of today it is not in the lineup at the Canon USA online store. Hmmmm. Too expensive in my opinion for what it does, anyway.

You do not mention the volume you expect to print. You might go crazy with weenie Canon cartridges and want a printer either with bigger carts or in which a CIS can be fitted. I do not see the Canon ProGraf products ($3,500 up) being suitable for the one-man shop, though others may differ. The new Espon Stylus Pro 3800 is expected to be very popular with the art printing people, but it is slow to arrive in the market and not cheap. It will feed material up to 1.5mm thick, or 1/16" and has monster cartridges. I would get one if I had a financial windfall. For some info see http://www.digitalartsupplies.com/ep38fconew.html.

tedstriker

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Im not sure about paper weight. Thats another thing. wheres a good place to buy paper? Im interested in large transparency paper. Looking to spend under a grand for an 18 by 24.