Label/Receipt Printer High Volume Recommendation

arturm

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother QL-800
Hi everyone,

We have a case where we want to print around 500 receipts/labels per day. We have been looking at different thermal and label printers from Zebra and Brother trying to figure out which printer to purchase. Can anyone give a recommendation on what printer to select for this kind of case? Seems quite pricey for this kind of amounts. Quality of print doesn't need to be superb, more important its cheaper per-print and reasonably fast. Preferably the need of changing roll should be as seldom as possible, but these big industrial printers seem a bit too much but we're not sure. Prints does NOT need to be sticky, the print will be used as entry pass and placed inside of the car on the dashboard. Prints will be automatically printed.

Thank you!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The ones I use are the GK420D and we do have a couple of GK420T's as well but I believe they've stopped making those and pushed to newer so I'm out of date.

The GK420D's are absolute work horses for us though for our shipping labels and various other bits... The T variant are great for colour labels and vinyl stuff but are a pain in the proverbial with lots of ribbon changes needed so I'd stay away from them.

The speed might be an issue but if you have a rewinder you can just leave them to run and then pull the roll off that.

Not sure how much help that is but hope it's of some use.

arturm

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother QL-800
Hi @websnail,

Thank you for the reply. The GK420D seems to be discontinued. We've got recommendation for the ZD421, any thoughts on that printer? We made some calculations regarding the paper and seems like it would cost around $10 - $15 USD minimum to print around 500 receipts/QR-codes per day. Is that accurate with your printing experience or what paper can you recommend to keep costs down?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The GK420D seems to be discontinued. We've got recommendation for the ZD421, any thoughts on that printer?
Unfortunately I don't have any of the newer models so can't comment but I'd imagine they'll be very similar in terms of functionality and speed.
As to label costs, we actually get free 6x4" labels from our couriers so we don't buy them ourselves. Once of the few benefits of being a UK operation using Royal Mail for some of our shipping.

arturm

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother QL-800
Thank you for the reply!