Kodak vs HP paper

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Ok so I just bought Kodak's ultra premium paper and compared to my HP premium plus (both are the top of the line paper they make) it is orders of magnitude better. Prints are just as clear and sharp and the kodak doesn't have a weird powder on them like the hp stuff. Not to mention upon printing the kodak is initially less tacky and dries faster plus curls less, the hp you have to be careful since it also has zero water resistance, the coating turns to slime as soon as water touches it. I don't see how the hp can be rated so highly on amazon when it's not nearly as good, I bet since the paper's are so expensive they didn't bother buying several packs and comparing them. I bought lots of different brands to compare, I now have Ilford paper which I like cause the back is blank and is the glossiest paper great for photo presentations in folders and is really mirror finish. And I also got meritline cheap paper for test prints before I run off a final on the good stuff.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
qwertydude, Kodak's ultra premium paper is micro-porous/nanoporous paper while HP Premium Plus is swellable paper. Most microporous papers are instant dry and therefore dries faster which obviously not tacky like a swellable paper. Most swellable paper is not waterproof and that is the characteristic of swellable paper since, on contact of ink (liquid) the polymer coating will swell and encapsulate the ink once they are dried. So when handling swellable photo paper, you need to give sufficient time for it to dry before framing or insert into protective sheet. Understanding your printing requirement, the type of ink you used (dye or pigment), the characteristics of the paper and then select the appropriate media for your projects/needs.

When printing with swellable paper on Canon printer, try to select the highest resolution of your printer which is Photo Paper Pro + custom Fine 1 setting. Depending on your canon printer specification, the one that has highest resolution, will give the best result for swellable paper as the ink dots are closely laid such that you don't see the ink dot (which some called "pebble like" dot or "grainy looking") so apparently compare to one that is printed on a lower resolution.

Below is printed at 9600 x 2400 resolution (PPP + custom fine 1 print quality) and Auto color intensity (no color balance adjustment) on HP Premium Plus Glossy. No custom ink profile used so sorry the color is as it is in this picture.

3640374227_a916bebafc_o.jpg