KISS CISS Systems _ Homebrew DIY - The Ultimate

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Here's some shots of so called Homebrew DIY KISS CISS Systems.
If you don't already know these systems are by far the most reliable especially for pigment ink based Epson printers. They simply outperform the commercial offerings because they are highly functional, extremely serviceable, and the quality of the product is as high as you want to put into it.
KISS because they are that simple with no marketing excrement.
Refillers are by nature DIY kind of persons who are extremely resourceful.
On with the show over the next few days.

Well you need some tuuuuubing:
Tubing.jpg

Then some MAGIC Caps with at least two holes: one for the tubes and one to let air in.
MagicCap.jpg

Then you start putting one end of the tubes with fittings into the refillable cartridges:
Cartbank.jpg

Arrange the tubes neatly
CartBank2.jpg

Then you prepare the other ends to go into the magic caps
DropTubes.jpg

Here's how the Tanks will look like with the caps, Just drop the tubes in to the bottom:
TankArray2.jpg

Here's how the caps fit into the bottles:
TankArray.jpg

Here's an R200 completed
R200_1.jpg

R200_2.jpg

R200.jpg

R200_5.jpg

R200_4.jpg

That's pretty much all there is to a CISS system. If the cartridges are full no priming is really necessary, as the ink is used the ink will move into the cartridges.

For those thinking about tanks tied together, when you need to clean the tanks. let's see how you get that done. With simple bottles you simply remove and rinse. Easy enough? Did I say you eliminate the risk of leaks?????

In the next few days I will show some pics of High Performance homebrew systems for SP14000, R1800 and Artisan 710s.

A little vid clip
http://rapidshare.com/files/382808436/MVI_0507.AVI

Enjoy!

I'll let those who own an R200 in on a little secret of sorts. If you want high performance printing from an R200 and its siblings you MUST use PhotoRPM in the advanced tab. With this and a custom profile this old and abused and discarded printer can print right up there with the newest printers. The only issue is that in this mode they are slow slow slow. If speed is not an issue, these printers go for less than peanuts ( Have you priced peanuts these days?).

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Particularly like the product placement there Mike ;)

Just a couple of things to add that may not be immediately obvious to some or simply fallen out of the common knowledge pool due to all the commercial CIS offerings now.

1. Ink levels in the bottles should never be above the level of the cartridges in the printer (preferably 1cm or so below). Overpressure results if you don't pay attention.

2. You may want to consider getting some tube clamps if you intend to move the CIS+printer around as this stops issues of ink pushing and pulling during movement. Such movement forces ink out or air ink through the nozzles so best avoided.
For the homebrew approach though, folding the tubing to form a kink works just fine too.

3. For pigment ink systems, make sure you swill the ink bottles regularly and also ensure that the dip part of the tube doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the bottle... Allow a 5mm+ gap to allow any sediment settling to lie further down from the tube, so you don't get an over-concentration of pigment. This is especially true of Magenta in Durabrite inks for some reason...

Thing that's everything I can add... :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
mikling

It is easy to see why CISS on an Epson works much better than on Canon. Your Homebrew system has a great deal going for it even with the odd flaw tube clamps websnail noticed which would be needed if youre going to market your system.
The tubing for starters I can see is clamped vertical rather than horizontal that makes a lot of sense, I have put in six CISS units on different canon printers but your one looks a breeze to fit compared to the Canons. Yours has also the added advantage of being able to use all pigment inks without the problems of sediment blockage.
I would like to add my two pence worth in your design:- you could add a rubber collar to the tubing where it enters the bottle top which would stop the tubing travelling down to low into the bottle.
5128_tankarray.jpg

I look forward to your next picture demo for the SPI 4000 + R1800..

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The rubber collars are there if you look carefully. This prevents ink from coming out if the tanks are moved around. So I've already covered that. The user can also add ink fill inlets are required using my Canon plugs as shown on one of the pictures. A good seal for the breather hole is a toothpick. Finally if the user wants they can add breather filters as well.

BTW, essentially the same system has been in existence for over 10 years at a reputable store that have proven the desiign. The only difference is that their system is really costly. I will market the components to customers who have already purchased refillable cartridge they are happy with and it will cost them $10 plus shipping. A reasonable amount so that they can transform their systems into a first class problem free CISS. Again the quality of the system will be based on what the installer puts into it. For the nominal sum they will get around 4 to 5 feet of 8 channel tubing, 18 collars, 9 elbows, a tee support, tubing suppost and a clinch bar for the cartridges. This will allow refitting of systems from R2400s to as small as 4 cartridge Epsons.

I decided on using nylon ties for the R200 as that is permanent and will never come off. The side feed on the tubes is also used on my RX580 and with this the tubes never slap and make no noise at all making for a mechanically stress free installation ensuring long term reliability.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
mikling

You certainly have covered everything and again thanks for the great pics and even more details. If it were not for you guys we would probably all be broke buying oem cartridges and nursing a huge overdraft.. :)

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
@mikling
Another nice and reasonable concept from your laboratory.

- when will it be available together with the new klariah ink?
(I don't have a epson 700/710 yet, but this model with fixed cartridges seems to be made for kiss...)
- how do you reset the cartridges? By pulling up the one which is low?

PeatAntIcs

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time with that money saving project.
I want to replicate idea with the EPSON STYLUS PHOTO R2880.
Any suggestions and help offered for this PROJECT WELCOME.
Presently reside in Australia and note source is in the us of A.
Our local suppliers of tubing do not have such a wide range.
So if you can recommend the SPECIFICATIONS EXACTINGLY,

PLEASE DO.