Keyword length minimums & Search

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just been doing some searches based on keywords like "pgi-9" or "pro-100" and discovered that the search mechanism is not recognising or honouring the dash character and pops up with an error about the keyword being too short.

If you search on pgi9 or pro100 it works fine but ignores the results you might want where the dash is included.

Perhaps a little tweaking of the search options are in order as that obviously reduces the search function utility significantly for cartridge code specific searches.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have also had similar problems. But if I remember correctly @Tudor once had a post describing how to use Google to do an advanced forum search. I bookmarked that post, but sadly lost it due to a HDD failure.

If I'm right could you please post the link, if you remember the post?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Hmm... that's odd, I'll look into it. It may be an issue with how MySQL processes searches and therefore not much we can do about it.

Google searches is an option. You can do a "site search" like this:
Code:
site:printerknowledge.com "pgi-9"

That will only search PK for the exact therm "pgi-9"

Last edited:

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Unfortunately, as suspected: MySQL splits on characters including "-", so that would be seen as 2 3-letter words and thus likely under your limit. There's no way around the MySQL limit itself.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Unfortunately, as suspected: MySQL splits on characters including "-", so that would be seen as 2 3-letter words and thus likely under your limit.
There's ways to hack it but "hack" is the word and it'd cause a slow down on other searches...
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...xt-searching-with-hyphens-in-the-search-query

There's no way around the MySQL limit itself.
Not entirely true but does require modification of your php.ini file
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/fulltext-fine-tuning.html

Thanks for looking into it but as a thought, I could see folks getting frustrated with not locating resources here so perhaps add a custom link to the workaround suggestion so folks can see to know it's an option and use that to help themselves.