Just joined

RickF

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG6821
Hi,

I just joined this very informative forum. Looks like a lot of knowledgeable and courteous folks here. Nice to be a member.

I recently purchased a new printer, a Canon Pixma MG6821. It seems to work pretty well and is very fast too. After two weeks of moderate printing though I've already had to change the black cartridge. I think it's called 'PgBK-270XL' used for black and white printing. My old printer was an HP Deskjet 720C... had it maybe 10 years. Although 4x slower than my new Canon, the HP45 black cartridge (which holds 42ml of ink), would last me nearly a year! But, it's hard to find these anymore and if you do, they're about $42. I always had the 45 refilled and the guy that did this task suggested I never get rid of that. He said I can refill the HP45 cartridge indefinitely.

Thanks in advance to forum members.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, Rick.

Your printer comes with "set up" cartridges. Canon uses a great deal of ink in the initial set up of the printer. It is normal to burn through the set up cartridges quickly. Then you purchase either regular or XL sized cartridges, both of which will last longer than the set up cartridges.

There does not appear to be a chip resetter for your cartridges. In this scenario, if you refill then you would have to turn off ink level monitoring for the chipped cartridges and keep a watchful eye on ink levels. However, good news, there are ARC chips which accomplish the same as a resetter in that ink monitoring is retained.

Since you are in the USA, an excellent source for refilling ink, ARC chipped cartridges and other supplies needed to make your refilling experience smooth can be found at Precision Colors located in Canada and run by forum member Mikling. He is also good answering questions before you buy his products. Initial costs seem high but you will save much money over time. I buy my inks from him and so do many on the forum.

For your printer see http://www.precisioncolors.com/C5Eb.html. Click on the tabs on top to see what is available for your printer.

RickF

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG6821
Thank you Stratman. I appreciate that info. I'll be sure to check out 'Precisioncolors.com'.

Slagathor

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 10, MG5320
Hi,

I just joined this very informative forum. Looks like a lot of knowledgeable and courteous folks here. Nice to be a member.

I recently purchased a new printer, a Canon Pixma MG6821. It seems to work pretty well and is very fast too. After two weeks of moderate printing though I've already had to change the black cartridge. I think it's called 'PgBK-270XL' used for black and white printing. My old printer was an HP Deskjet 720C... had it maybe 10 years. Although 4x slower than my new Canon, the HP45 black cartridge (which holds 42ml of ink), would last me nearly a year! But, it's hard to find these anymore and if you do, they're about $42. I always had the 45 refilled and the guy that did this task suggested I never get rid of that. He said I can refill the HP45 cartridge indefinitely.

Thanks in advance to forum members.

My very first printer was a HP Deskjet 882c, I friggn LOVED that printer, those giant carts would last forever, the little "belt" that moved the carts back and forth broke and I was devastated, tossed it out, then found out I could have fixed it, it was a sad sad day.....:(