Just dissected Canon clogged printhead

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
My MP780 had a clogged head(QY6-0049)-same head as ip4000 and i860.I repeatedly used Windex and alcohol in all the ways recommended on this forum.The Magenta continued to be clogged after days of soaking,flushing,etc.I could get fluid through the M nozzles with a 20cc syringe,but it took much more pressure than the C,Bk,Y nozzles.I finally took it apart(the ceramic part) which I think is of no use to do.While I had the ceramic part loose,it fell off-basically making the cartridge useless(It's held on with glue and had gold contacts-impossible to reassemble).

So I decided to try one more thing.I removed the "screen" where the ink initially enters the head(at the cartridge outlet).That's where the pressure was backed up.I found no signs of anything that was causing the blockage there-no ink or particles-nothing.But the ink certainly flowed freely again.I don't know if that screen is supposed to add any "back-pressure"-I would think not.If you have an impossible clog,it may be worth removing the screen over the offending color.I doubt if it can be replaced,but as a last resort,why not?

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
This is why I don't buy an AIO, rather get a printer and scanner. The IP4300 is on sale for $60 after $40 rebate at staples.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
The AIO has been great(don't use fax,but copies,scans,and prints).The printhead is no more likely to clog in a dedicated printer than an AIO.I got the MP780 for $140 shipped over a year ago.The head is less than $50 shipped.I don't get your point considering my printer's cost/ability.I certainly don't want a separate copier,printer and scanner.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I think KnightCrawler's point is: Let's say a new printhead doesn't fix your problem, then you are left with the scanner portion and have to buy a new printer. I think he means that you get all three functions (even fax with installed S/W) in two separate units for about the same money - say the ip4300 for the price he said ($60) and a Canon Lide 60 or 70 scanner for about $70 - $80. If one breaks you only need to replace it. Actually I find it easier to have the two units - they are placed were each function is most conveniently reached.

Steve W.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
The copier function is very useful,too.And how much is a printhead for the ip4300?I know you can get an entire new unit for $60.....while it is a current model.But how much will printheads be later on?Hopefully there will be another new unit to replace the ip4300 that is refillable(or not!).
Seems to me that for the $140 I spent,it's a good deal.Had I bought 3 separate pieces,when I got mine,it would have been $200 plus(your prices don't include a copier,much less a fax).And that's all I have in mine($190) with a second printhead(it's working well).Plus,I have an ink monitor that works(I refill) and the ip4300 doesn't,if you refill.I won't own a printer that I can't refill.
I fully understand using separates,but that's not always the best route.It also assumes that the separate scanner and copier don't break.
We have strayed off topic.I was trying to give hope to some hopelessly clogged printheads.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
avolanche,
Yes we are off topic - but. I have/ could have all four functions with my two units - scanner and printer. Scanner is scanner. Printer is printer. Scanner to printer is copier. Scanner to Fax S/W to modem is FAX - same as AIOs do (Don't have a modem installed right now - use DSL). I also only use refillable Canon printers, but someday we ain't going to be able to buy refillable Canon's without giving up ink monitoring. Will stop now.

Steve W.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
For me, an All In One was a matter of footprint and available space versus performance and cost.

So far I have been very satisfied with my MP830.