Just a little help for a friend. Canon or Epson

philippa

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson
I priced up these inks for my R1900, would you believe that it was more cost effective to buy from the US including the freight! Rihac do reckon that their pigment inks are micro encapsulated, so they may be ok.
Can vouch for the rihac pigment inks, i used them on my 1430, they are definately the best in terms of colour compared to other inks i bought on ebay although they were more expensive. Was originally going to go for the dye version but was advised by them apparently the fade life is not as good - Designer here so decided to go for the more expensive option to print artwork.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Thanks again Taskmon & Fingers:) And thanks JD:) Yes I buy my inks from Precision Colors & the shipped prices seem quite good compared to buying ink down here in Oz. I buy my paper from B&H in New York & the price including postage for a box of 50 A3+ size is about the same as the price for a box of 20 down here, about $100.
The Pro 10s looks the same to refill & reset the carts as my Pro 9500 so that couldn't be easier but I don't know how easy it is for the Epson 600.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Rod, one major question that should be considered is how much printing will be done and at what frequency. While both brands like to be used more frequently rather than less, the Pro-10 is nearly exactly like the 9500 in its maintenance characteristics. As you know, you can have long periods of no use and it will fire right back up after it's self imposed start routines. The simplicity of refilling the 9500 is identical to the Pro-10.
The Pro-1 requires more skill and CARE when refilling to ensure that air is not caught in the inklines. So it raises the bar a little or quite a bit more especially if you are not an experienced refiller. Because the chips are one time use and you do not have the ability to reset all the chips at once, ink useage is likley to be higher on average. The Pro-1 can attain very high levels of print quality. The P600 should really be used every week or so at a minimum, this is a guideline. On very many occasions I have not used mine for over two or three weeks and there were no clog problems ( air ) really. However, the potential is there, so while I have been able to get away with this mode, it is not recommended. You also need to be careful about switching between Matte and PhotoBlack as the ink switch is likely to be similar to the R3000 which is known to be problematic. Refilling is simple and easy as long as the refillable cartridges are primed properly.
The model that is the simplest to own and operate and likely to be the most reliable is the Pro-10. The P600 being based on the R3000 has that autoswitch mechanism which may become problematic as it did on the R3000 and frequent printing is also ideally desired. The Pro-1,while it is a great printer, should really be for more accomplished refillers or one who will do things carefully. Ideally, the second photo printer you would have owned.
The P600 must use aftermarket refillable cartridges equipped with autoresetting chips that reset when the electronic ink level has reached empty, removed and replaced. There is a resetter for the P600 that will reset the ARC and OEM chips but NOT the setup cartridges. Refilling the OEM carts is NOT easy and certainly not for the beginner.
So who is the Pro-1 for?
For example, you having lived with the 9500 for a number of years and now an accomplished refiller, the Pro-1 is perhaps the machine for a person like yourself.... whose skills in image capture have improved over time and the task of careful refilling is not daunting.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Thanks for that Mike that makes everything a lot clearer. I sent my mate the links to your Pro 10 inkset page & he's very impressed with all the information there & he likes your prices too so my bet is he will be getting the Pro 10 & if my mate has any sense you will be getting a new costumer too:)

Latest posts