Is your web browser color managed?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
This web page isn't new, but it allows you to test whether your web browser is color managed. It also gives some good information on the subject.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Grandad35 said:
This web page isn't new, but it allows you to test whether your web browser is color managed. It also gives some good information on the subject.
It may not be new, but it is to me. Nice to know that my monitors ARE colour managed, thanks for the informative post.

Cheers,

Andrew

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I think it will boil down to:

So IE8 is not colour managed. IE9 is and so is Mozilla Firefox. That checks out on my monitor. I found the article hard reading.

Regards
Ian

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I should have mentioned that you should check the settings in your browser to make sure that it is set up properly.

For example, Firefox's default settings are OK, but not optimized. Here is an article on how to optimize Firefox's settings. Do other browsers have similar settings?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I tried the last link and found this:-

ERROR 403
Sorry, you are not permitted to access this material. This is usually because of excessive hacking/spaming/probes from your general IP space. If you wish to change this please complain to your Internet provider and ask them to improve their security.
If you are a personal friend of mine who's been inadvertantly blocked (Australia and Germany are likely candidates for your location!) please email me with your IP address and I'll whitelist you.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
For Firefox, the instructions boil down to:
1. Enter about:config into the url address line, agree to the "Be careful" warning
2. Enter gfx.color into the search box
3. Set gfx.color_management.enablev4 to true by double clicking
4. Set gfx.color_management.mode to 1
5. Restart Firefox to use the new values

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Grandad35 said:
Very interesting post, printed out quite a lot of it so I can read it carefully to fully understand it. Whilst I use Firefox I have never checked the settings but will do so now.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Thanks Grandad35

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Hi Grandad35

Having followed your instructions I am pleased to say that full color management in Firefox checks out 100% in all the tests. Incidentally the Firefox setup instructions are also given in an included link as below:

http://www.gballard.net/firefox/

In the process I discovered I did not have the latest version of Firefox downloaded.

Somewhat to my surprise I find that there is a spellchecker working as I type. I wonder is it from the Nifty Stuff Forum (there was talk) or is it built into Firefox?

Regards

Emulator

P.S. I just checked using IE8 and there is no spellchecker, so it must be Firefox, what a bonus!:D Although it is American English :caf

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Emulator said:
P.S. I just checked using IE8 and there is no spellchecker, so it must be Firefox, what a bonus!:D Although it is American English :caf
By default, Firefox includes a spell checker during multi-line input.

There are many other dictionaries available for Firefox, so you are not limited to US English.