Is using both OEM and 3rd party inks a problem?

russell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA ip8720
Right now I'm using Canon OEM inks in my PIXMA ip8720 to print b/w on Canon Pro Premium Matte (PM-101).
I'm having success using these settings: Editing in Photoshop Elements in grey scale mode, in quick setup box in ip8720 series printing properties I select the 'standard' option under 'commonly used settings', I check the greyscale printing box, plain paper and 'high quality'. I've read that even though there still is some of the color that gets incorporated, the primary black used is from the PGBK (pigment) cartridge. Apparently by selecting the "standard" and plain paper options the printer thinks it is printing text. This method gives me a somewhat harsher looking and almost chalky b/w print while losing some of the middle greys which I can bring back a little using the 'dodge & burn' controls in Photoshop. But more importantly I'm not getting any color hues of magenta or cyan or any color at all. All this is leading up to a question which is - If I switch back to refillable cartridges from Precision Color for just the C,M,Y,B and G (all cheaper than Canon OEM) and continue to use Canon OEM PGBK pigment that I'm using now, will there be a problem? For some reason I'm anticipating Prec. Color PGBK not being as good as Canon's PGBK. Has anyone tried this? Will the OEM colors not be compatable with PC's PGBK? Thanks.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If I switch back to refillable cartridges from Precision Color for just the C,M,Y,B and G (all cheaper than Canon OEM) and continue to use Canon OEM PGBK pigment that I'm using now, will there be a problem?
No.

For some reason I'm anticipating Prec. Color PGBK not being as good as Canon's PGBK.
I find Precision Colors PGBK for my PGI-5 cartridge to be appropriate for text. Is it "as good" as OEM? Probably not but not of sufficient different for my purposes. You will judge for yourself.

Supposedly, Octoink's KMP Pigment Black is quite good. Our Moderator The Hat uses it and is happy with it's performance.

Will the OEM colors not be compatable with PC's PGBK?
I thought you were going to use OEM Pigment Black??? Either way, which ever Pigment Black you use will essentially be a separate issue from whatever Dye-based color ink set you use.

Here is a list of what my Canon MP830 uses Pigment Black and Dye-Based inks. Your printer is most likely quite similar if not the same.

PGI-5 Pigment Black Ink is used ONLY For:
- Plain Paper Text (monochrome and grey scale)
- Envelopes
- Transparencies
- Duplex Printing On Plain Paper
- Camera Direct Printing on Plain Paper

CLI-8 Dye-Based Color Inks are used anytime color is printed and is used exclusively for:
- All Photo Paper types (including when Duplex printing)
- High Resolution Paper
- T-shirt Transfers
- CD-R's
- All Borderless Printing, on both PhotoPaper and Plain Paper

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Right now I'm using Canon OEM inks in my PIXMA ip8720 to print b/w on Canon Pro Premium Matte (PM-101).
@russell, when printing in B&W, there is no need to first convert your photos over to greyscale, you should select photoshop to print in greyscale and let the print driver do the rest for you, but if you set your printer to use plain paper then your limited to only the PGBK black cartridge.

By doing this you mis-out on all the grey tones that can be developed by the other colours, your current setting will print, but only course black dots with little or no halftone.

Try using this Girl test sheet to get good B&W prints using all the colour range that your printer can provide, to access the colour changes go to page Set-up / Color/Intensity.
Capture2.PNG

Attachments

• Girl_Sheet_Colors_Test.zip
    995.4 KB · Views: 217