Is this worth it?

dot

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I need a new printer but am having a hard time deciding as All the new models seem to have negative comments on forums. As I was desparate, as my printer had died, I just picked up a cheap one this morning for $59 to tied me over until I decide on a better model. It is an Epson AiO CX5000. I haven't even opened the box yet but have just read so many complaints about it, I wonder if I shouldn't just take it back to the store without even opening it.
Anyone have a good thing to say about it or should I just get myself a good newer model?

What I really need is a very good basic printer that is not too expensive to run and won't give me a lot of problems. I don't do a lot of copying and what I do is mostly text and some graphics. I do some photographs but mainly snapshots so am not interested in producing professional results only reasonably good prints.
I don't really need an AiO as I have a very good scanner and also a fax/copier but all newer models seem to be either AiO's or photo printers so I'll probably have to end up with one or the other. The printer I had was a HP 7150 which has given me a lot of trouble so I don't really want another HP. My original printer was an Epson color 440 which I've had for over 10 years and it has never given me any trouble at all. Unfortunately, it is not compatible with my newer computer. It is still used on occassion as it is attached to my old computer which I keep for storing personal files. That is why I was leaning towards an Epson, although some reviews on Epsons haven't been too good.
Perhaps a Canon is the way to go. Someone told me all printers are actually made by Canon anyway. I will wait and see which printer is recommended the most with the least negative comments, if that's at all possible.

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi dot.
I have an used Epson cx5000 sitting idle. Someone just asked if I wanted it. Nothing was wrong with the printer except the original cartridges are emptied, and the person checked the cartridges prices, he just gave up and bought a new Canon ip3300 for Can$49.00, and he is happy with it every time he sees me. The price he paid for the Canon was cheaper than if he would have picked up a new set of Epson cx5000 cartridges. (4x16=$64). The ip4300 is a basic printer only with 4 cartridges. The quality with both graphics and text quality are equal to if not better than the Epson, and ink replacement is much cheaper even if you don't go for refilling. There are a lot of generic cartridges on the market and each is about $4 each. Just look around this forum and you see a lot of people discussing the refilling of this cartridge you can understand the popularity of the particular printer. You made a smart choice of separating the printer from the scanner and fax. Once you have your hand on this printer, I think you will not go back to the Hp or Epson route, for now. at lease. I check on Staples web site and they still have a few of these printers left, it is not a discontinue item yet but I think it will soon be.