is this fixable or should I sell it for parts

Paul Mohney

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
SoCal between downtown disney and down town L.A.
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 9000 pro Mk ii
I've had a pixma pro 9000 mkii stashed in the back b/r for a year or so (it was inexpensive and allegedly open box).
My work horse pixma pro 9000 MKii developed streaks on one nozzle, so I pulled the head to give it an overdue wash, and blow dry.
unnecessary drama and detail deleted
Well I'll just go to the back and borrow the head from it, it's new,
Well apparently it wasn't as new as i might have liked. The head was in the printer and it gave me a maintenance error 9100.
  • Carriage unit (QM2-2967)
    Logic board ass'y (QM2-3180) are fried and sent to the promised land.
  • My question, is this printer worth fixing or should I offer it up to the trash, or offer it up for parts

Happy holidays to all who are here, every time I get stuck, and those who have worse luck than I do, ut do it any way
  • Paul somewhere in L.A. awaiting a shoulder replacement next week

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
If I understood correctly you have two Pro-9000mkii. One of them your daily working machine and the other sitting unused for a year.
Just a couple of questions :

1-Your backup printer works OK with the printhead that gives error 9100 when installed in your workhorse Pro-9000 ?

2-If you reinstall the printhead that developed streaks in one color into the work horse machine, does it works correctly now, apart from the streaks, or does it shows error 9100 too ?.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Tough love time. Quit while you are behind.

Trash the broken printer... unless you want a "project" and have the time, money and desire to hunt down parts, replace them and then pray things will function without frying your sole remaining print head that you have no idea will function properly either.

Put the print head back into the stored printer. If you are lucky, the stored printer will function +/- some care needed due to being stored for so long without printing.

Prepare to look for a proven working Pro 10 for sale - don't buy someone else's troubles - or a new Pro printer.

Paul Mohney

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 9000 pro Mk ii
If I understood correctly you have two Pro-9000mkii. One of them your daily working machine and the other sitting unused for a year.
Just a couple of questions :

1-Your backup printer works OK with the printhead that gives error 9100 when installed in your workhorse Pro-9000 ?

2-If you reinstall the printhead that developed streaks in one color into the work horse machine, does it works correctly now, apart from the streaks, or does it shows error 9100 too ?.

Paul Mohney

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 9000 pro Mk ii
Close, I bought a printer for a back up, but for reasons unknown I never ran it.
The print head developed steaks , that normal maintenance wouldn't fix, so I washed and blow dried it, successfully.
Before I tried it on my daily driver, I thought it prudent to finally fire up my spare, and see if what I had done was successful.
Turned out there was already a print head installed, but when the the printer was plugged in and turned on it just sat there and blinked alternating green and yellow for ten seconds.
So I installed my now known good print head, with new cartridges in the dead printer and it just sat there looking at me, Surprise.
I have no idea why I just let it sit there, that is like i'd answer an african general's get rich quick scheme e-mail.
The print head from the dead printer down the hall works fine, once I got it cleaned up, there is that.
So sell it for parts?, use it to practice putting in an ink potty?, or resuscitate it?
addendum question
I bought a printer for parts for about $150 some time ago and it came with a print head. Bad news it had a bunch of ink in the tank and it ended up just soaking everything in used ink. Good news is the print head was undamaged except for caked on ink (which I have since fixed). So what do I do to store a rejuvenated print head ,so I can have one for next time?
your willingness to help is greatly appreciated
Thanks and may you find joy in day to day life
Paul in L.A.
either under a car, behind a camera, or feeding a printer, cheap ink and Texas paper

Paul Mohney

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 9000 pro Mk ii
Tough love time. Quit while you are behind.

Trash the broken printer... unless you want a "project" and have the time, money and desire to hunt down parts, replace them and then pray things will function without frying your sole remaining print head that you have no idea will function properly either.

Put the print head back into the stored printer. If you are lucky, the stored printer will function +/- some care needed due to being stored for so long without printing.

Prepare to look for a proven working Pro 10 for sale - don't buy someone else's troubles - or a new Pro printer.

Paul Mohney

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 9000 pro Mk ii
I'll offer it up on e-bay for parts and see what happens
failing that I'll see what it takes to disassemble this thing to put in an external ink potty.
Thanks for your time
Paul in L.A. under a car, behind a camera, or in front of a computer