Is there any way to check the ink level on this printer?

spakiley

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi all this a great forum;)
Can you help me to solve this litle problem?
I use Canon MP160 and i have reffiled my cartridges PG 40 and Cl 41 successfully(first time).But after that I have lost ink monitoring.Is there any way to check the ink level without ink monitoring(which was very usefull)?.
THanks for help

ustilago

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Weight. . . Those cartridges should be 50-55g when full.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Good idea and close but no cigar, you still won't know which colors you're down on. You may have used up most of one color and the other two are still full or close to it.

Also by the time you take them out to weigh them, you might as well just top them up a bit and not worry about it!

That's really the only solution I'm afraid.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
spakiley said:
Also is this guide safe?Have anyone tried it?
http://www.videolandrefill.nl/i/reset/canon_pg_cl.pdf
yes..... in the main 40/50 and 41 /41 refill thread.....

Mikling wrote :-
"I spoke with someone who tried the taping on the dutch link. Apparently it froze his printer and rendered it useless after that thus necessitating a new printer. So if bad things happen.......

I think it's better to let the ink monitor sleep and be done with it."

Headphonesman writes:-
It is no problem to "top up" on a regular basis to just under "saturation" (looks "damp", not "dry" or "wet" )level. The tops have to be off to do it this way and are re-secured with a rubber band.

If you do miss a physical inspection and a color runs out, you will get a visible warning , (it wont print that color!), provided this is watched for and rectified immmediately , no lasting harm appears to take place ,(in my experience) , to date. This is not to be taken as an alternative however, top up "little and often " should be your main procedure.