Is there any actual differences in various 20 lb papers?

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
After getting another ad from Staples for a different paper I'm curious as to whether or not there's any physical difference in the myriad of 20 lb printer papers available. "Copy" "Multipurpose" "Office", the only difference on the packaging being the brightness, and even then most of them are 92 now.

I'm thinking maybe the 'copy' paper is better for actual high volume copy machines while the 'multipurpose' paper might have more dusting since it's supposedly inkjet compatible, but I figure they're all going to look pretty bad in an inkjet printer and terrible for double-sided in any kind of printer unless they're 50% titanium dioxide. :rolleyes:

I just find it odd that there's such an amazing variety of this stuff when most people probably grab "whatever's cheapest" (in my case: only when it's Free After Rebate :p )

Martijn

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Yeah, most consumers just want the cheap stuff but good paper can really make your documents look more professional.

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
Here is my experience: I got IK Plus and PaperOne, both are A4, 80gsm, indicated inkjet-compatible. Printing a full page text using same black pigmented ink, same "Normal" mode: text is not pure black, a little bit grey, not "vivid" on IK Plus; on PaperOne it's beautiful: dense, vivid and sharp black.