Is my MG5250 dead?

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
I've just had error B200 on my MG5250. From what I've read, there's not much I can do about this - overheated print head and probably replace logic board also.

However, there are some confusing features. When the printer was used this morning, the printer status showed all cartridges full. Now three are empty, which could explain the B200 message. But I refilled all cartridges recently. And, although I didn't physically inspect the cartridges this morning, there's no way they should have been near empty. The printer is not used much.

After the B200 message, the printer wouldn't power up via the power on button. I removed mains power, and tried again. It then did power up, but switched itself off in the power up routine. I tried again, got the cartridges parked and removed the empty ones. Now the printer is retaining power, but I got a "wrong print head message"

The printer ink monitoring has been working OK. Does anyone have any suggestions why three cartridges that were full this morning according to the monitor are now empty.

Also, is it worth refilling the cartridges and trying again? I suspect I'm just wasting my time.

Or is it worth trying cleaning the print head? Again I suspect I'm wasting my time.

Any comments?

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I refilled the cartridges. No change, as I expected. The printer now powers on, but says incorrect print head. Further confirmation the print head and/or the logic board has been damaged.

I've removed the print head and ensured all the contacts are clean. It's not worth buying a new print head. It might not fix the problem anyway.

Time for a new printer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@FryingSaucer, Well you were right the first time, it was a print head problem and not the logic board, its still working properly otherwise you couldn’t have got the printer to power back on or give you any of these new error messages.

It would be worth your while to invest in a new print head to keep your printer going because any new one would not be as good as your current model.

There’s one thing still bother me about the empty cartridges, why did they leak ?, it’s likely that the excessive loss of ink is what caused the head failure..

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
@FryingSaucer,
There’s one thing still bother me about the empty cartridges, why did they leak ?, it’s likely that the excessive loss of ink is what caused the head failure..
Yes, I don't understand it and if it might happen again that's another reason I'm reluctant to buy another print head.

Good to know the logic board is OK though.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@FryingSaucer, maybe its time you did a re-think of your refilling procedures, sometimes going over each step again slowly can cause a “Wait a Moment” that’s what went wrong..:hu

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
@FryingSaucer, maybe its time you did a re-think of your refilling procedures, sometimes going over each step again slowly can cause a “Wait a Moment” that’s what went wrong..:hu
Yes, good point, except I've filled these cartridges many times without problems. And I could understand one leaking, but not three.

It's actually my wife's printer. She saw the cartridges full status this morning as she was going through menus on the printer. I suppose she might have got it wrong. She might have had a head failure too (as well as the printer):D

But then I'm fairly sure I did fill the cartridges recently... but I might have had a head failure too:(

Anyway, you're right about the quality of the MG5250. I've been looking at new Canon printers, and they would not be as good as the MG5250. But that's consistent with my experience of Canon printers. I started refilling with an ip4500. Each time I've replaced the printer since then, it's been a step downwards in quality.