Is it possible to refill PG680 and CLI681 for Canon PIXMA Home Office Printer (TR8660a) (TR8620a)?

Notuolos

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip7620
G'day Folks,

I am in Australia and the unit referred to above will probably be TR8620a in the USA.

My problem is that my last iP7620 (7520) is showing signs of imminent demise and as it is my wife's for her small business I am wanting to get ahead of the curve and find a replacement that I can continue to refill. I have done this on a succession of printers (all Canon) for many years now. I am detecting that there may be some change in manufacturing now to block our ability to refill. I cannot find any mention of being able to refill this machine after a fair bit of research so I thought I would make my first post here and maybe complete the search.

So, can somebody please let me know what the go is now?

Thanks in advance,

Notuolos.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The PGI-680/CLI-681 have the European and North American equivalents PGI-580/CLI-581 and PGI-280/CLI-281. there are many refill instructions for these cartridges,

There is no resetter available for these cartridges, but the ink level monitoring can be disabled so you can use refilled cartridges. The setup cartridges and normal size cartridges are the easiest to refill, as they have only a sponge and no ink reservoir, so refilling can be done by dripping ink into the ink outlet. Here and here are YouTube videos showing the refill and disabling of the ink monitoring. You can read more here.

The XL and XXL cartridges have a sponge and an ink reservoir, so a different method is used for refilling these. But that's another story. You can write again for an instruction for refilling these larger cartridges.

Last edited:

Notuolos

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip7620
Thank you very much for that. I was not aware of the equivalent numbers. This makes it nice and clear for me. I could proceed with confidence now. However, I trust the 7620 will keep going.

Thanks again.