Ip90 No ink on page

dirtyfingers

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip90
(1) Hi all. My trusty ip90 has lost its mind. It will not longer put ink to paper. It goes through all of the proper motions but nothing comes out.

(2) It started about one month ago with the black ink not printing but color was fine. I cleaned the print head. Black still didn't work but color did. I used it for probably 30 pages in color. Then, the color side stopped printing too. Both had ink on their nozzles. I took the print head out and cleaned it again. I let it soak and flushed it until the nozzles ran nearly clear. Let it dry. Put it back in the printer and got a bad print head notice.

I bought and installed a new print head along with new OEM inks. I still wouldn't print. I pulled the top cover to check out the purger. It seems to be functioning. I cleaned the ink collector pad and after two reboots, it was saturated. The gears for it are functioning as is the little swiper. I am at a loss. What else can I check?

(3) Canon ip90 - Since 2009 - a couple of times a month to print about 5 sheets or so.

(4) & (5) I started with OEM inks but, being in the desert, the print head would dry out between uses and then I would have to run three deep cleanings which would take the remaining ink out of the cartridge. It was costing $5 to print a handful of papers. I started refilling my own about two years ago.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Any ideas?
@dirtyfingers, it’s quite possible that the logic board has failed on you with an electrical problem, and now that you have installed a new print head and it has failed too, that would also suggest that the new print head has now been damaged by the faulty logic board, I reckon it’s time for a new printer, sorry I can’t give you any better news...

dirtyfingers

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip90
Thank you for the reply. Printer repair is new to me, so I wasn't sure if there were any other diagnostics that I could do. It's hard for me to throw in the towel and harder for me to throw the printer in the trash. I'll see if I can find any burns on the main board, but I am sure it will be in vain as its components are probably way too small to diagnose or replace.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@dirtyfingers, Nobody likes to let their little printer go, :( but sadly this can happen to anyone of us, your biggest problem is finding a good replacement for your printer, I’d recommend a Pro 100 if you can get one on special @$49 or a Maxify, both can be refilled easily and have ink and cartridges available now...