IP6000D Ink Levels

JimHanus

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP6000D
My first post! I have 2 Canon IP6000D printers. I have several Canon brand cartridges that the printer ink monitor says are empty (and I must replace before printing) which are actually 1/2 full. You can see the ink levels since the cartridges are clear. How does the printer determine how much ink is still in the cartridge, and is it possible to reset these to be able to use up the remaining ink? Thanks!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, Jim.

Your printer estimates ink levels using the prism and counting of droplets, sprays, and/or calculated coverage from each print. You can read more at

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-ip6000d-status-monitor-not-working.409/

The BCI-6 cartridges do not have chips, so you do not need a chip resetter to reset the ink level back to full.

Refill the cartridges that are marked as empty. Since they are marked as empty you will first need to use a different cartridge that is NOT marked as Empty and is either new or refilled. This "resets" the printer so that you can then use your newly refilled cartridges again.

Further explanation at https://www.precisioncolors.com/C6A.html . Click on the Chip Reset" tab. If you are looking for refill ink then this is a good place for aftermarket ink for your printer.

If you do not want to use aftermarket inks then you could use a syringe and needle to suck up and then transplant the OEM ink into one of your half-filled "Empty" cartridges.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have several Canon brand cartridges that the printer ink monitor says are empty
I’d say it’s the brand of aftermarket cartridge your using, try removing the cart and giving it a good shake, then re-inset it, the quality of the ink may be to transparent and that’s what’s trigging the prism to act to early..

JimHanus

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP6000D
Thanks for the info. What are the electrical contacts for on the bottom of the cartridges?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The iP6000 uses the BCI-6 cartridges which have no chips and no electric contacts on the bottom of the cartridges. The iP6600 and iP6700 are similar to the iP6000 but use the chipped CLI-8 cartridges that have contacts at the bottom.

The CLI-8 cartridges can be inserted and work in the iP6000, the chip will then have no function and cause no harm. The prisms might be different on BCI-6 and CLI-8 cartridges so the use of CLI-8 cartridges in the iP6000 might cause problems with reading the prism properly.

JimHanus

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP6000D
The iP6000 uses the BCI-6 cartridges which have no chips and no electric contacts on the bottom of the cartridges. The iP6600 and iP6700 are similar to the iP6000 but use the chipped CLI-8 cartridges that have contacts at the bottom.

The CLI-8 cartridges can be inserted and work in the iP6000, the chip will then have no function and cause no harm. The prisms might be different on BCI-6 and CLI-8 cartridges so the use of CLI-8 cartridges in the iP6000 might cause problems with reading the prism properly.
Wow, I didn't even notice it was a different number cartridge (very tiny printing). Since new (8-9 years) I've always used Canon brand cartridges BCI-6 (outdated on eBay). I bought a used IP6000D that had a mix of Canon and off-brand cartridges. I saw the chip on one I had removed and just assumed it was a 6 as obviously the outside is the same look. Never bothered to look at the Canon. Thank you for increasing my cartridge knowledge!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Are you using BCl-6 or CLl-8 carts ?

There are chips on the CLl-8 carts but they make no contact with anything on your iP6000D printer, so ignore them if you use CLl-8’s..

There are no differences in the prisms in both the CLl-8 and BCl-6 carts, they are in fact the same carts, (Different numbers) the CLl-42 carts can be used in his iP6000 printer too…

JimHanus

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP6000D
Are you using BCl-6 or CLl-8 carts ?

There are chips on the CLl-8 carts but they make no contact with anything on your iP6000D printer, so ignore them if you use CLl-8’s..

There are no differences in the prisms in both the CLl-8 and BCl-6 carts, they are in fact the same carts, (Different numbers) the CLl-42 carts can be used in his iP6000 printer too…
I only use BCI-6 Canon brand. As I said, I purchased a used printer that had a mix of cartridges in it. The cartridge that wasn't printing and I pulled out happened to be a CLI-8 (with tiny printing) which looks like a BCI-6 but had a chip. I didn't know the 6 and 8 were interchangeable in my printer, and I didn't know they looked alike. Now I know, and will still continue to only use Canon brand BCI-6. Thanks.

JimHanus

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP6000D
Not sure how much cheaper CLI-8 can be. I just bought 5 BCI-6 Canon OEM for $14 US with free shipping, so $2.80ea. It just works for me. Thanks!