IP5000 too much blank ink

shailey

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I've never posted on a bulletin board before, hope I'm not breaking any rules. I've searched forum and didn't see anything pertaining to my problem. When I print charts/photos the black ink completely saturates the paper and the other colors almost disappear? Is this a setting that I can change or is this the cheap ink I'm using?

Thanks for any help, shailey

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
Wow, your first post ever and you've already broken a rule. Appologizing. Way to go. Sorry, I'm just kidding. Welcome to the forum. Great first post.

Have you done a cleaning and print a nozzle check? What does the nozzle check look like?

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Could depend on the printer. Maybe you're using a dye based ink on a printer designed for pigment. I notice slightly higher ink volumes if I refill an HP pigment cartridge with dye black.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
Good point qwertydude. shailey, your BCI-3eBk black cartridge (the thick one), should be filled with pigment ink. It's more than likely that your "cheap ink" for that cartridge is dye based ink.

Did the problem start right after you used that ink?

shailey

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I have a Canon IP5000 and I started buying the cheap inks about the time the problem started. I didn't know there was a difference in ink?

Does this mean I have to buy just Canon ink?

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I'm sure qwertydude and msmart are correct. Sounds like dye-based ink in a cartridge designed for pigmented ink to me as well.

To be 100% guaranteed that you are using pigmented ink for your BCI-3 cartridge, you can buy genuine Canons OR refill these easily with pigmented ink designed for Canon printers. You should do this soon, as it is possible for your printhead to leak if using dye-based or thin "universal"-type inks.

shailey

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Searching the internet is like stopping on the outskirts of New York City (I've never been there, just guessing) and asking the first person you see "Is there a good restaurant in town?". THOUSANDS of answers.

That is the way I'm feeling trying to find the Canon Pigment/official ink. Can anyone direct me to a website that has the correct ink refills for the IP5000 besides the expensive Canon cartridges? I will buy you a pony for Christmas!

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
You can send my pony to......

You'll see that Precision Colors and Hobbicolors inks are two of the more recommended inks on this forum. Precision Colors only sells the inks while Hobbicolors sells the ink along with empty cartridges (also called "tanks")...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobbicolors-Ref...66:2|39:1|72:1234|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

I opted for refilling my tanks with Precision Colors ink:
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-oz-Refill-Kit...34.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301:0|293:1|294:30

Read through the threads in the Refilling sub-forum to see if refilling your tanks is something you want to get into. Here is where I learned how to do it. http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=4

shailey

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Much appreciated guys, pony is on the way!