ip5000...How to print with black only

jbclem

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Since my BCI-6 Black cartridge has run out and I'm waiting for ink, I wonder if I can set the Canon Pixma ip5000 to only use the BCI-3eBK cartridge.

John

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Since my BCI-6 Black cartridge has run out and I'm waiting for ink, I wonder if I can set the Canon Pixma ip5000 to only use the BCI-3eBK cartridge.
John
Hi John, it’s not that easy to get the printer to just use the eBK cartridge, because it depends on the application your using and not the printer driver alone, its complicated, but don’t be tempted to run the printer with a dry BK cartridge.

Your best bet is to put 3 ml of Cyan into a tub and add 3 ml of Magenta and 4 ml of yellow to it, now you have enough black ink to last you for quite some time, and there’s no need to wait..

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
If you set the printer on -plain paper and-grey (or -b&w? don't know the english menu exactly) then it will print with 3eBK only, which results in warm neutral, but a bit grainy prints.
But certainly only B&W! The printer can not use the 3eBK ("textblack") instead of BK ("photoblack") when printing color. Set on plain paper the 3eBK will be added to the 4 photo colors (for deep blacks from around 95% K value up), and set on any other paper setting the 3eBK will not be used at all.

Last edited: