ip5000 3ebk not printing

disgo55

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
:(I have had my printer about 18 months. Three weeks ago i had to put in a new head,now the black ink 3ebk has stopped working.
I`v replaced 3ebk three times,still no joy. The ink i use is think+ compatible,never had any probs with there ink so far.
Anyone got any ideas. Thanks

Forsurchi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Disgo55,

Its not the ink, its the head. There could be a problem with the contacts, I suggest contacting Canon so they can send you a free replacement.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
disgo55 said:
:(I have had my printer about 18 months. Three weeks ago i had to put in a new head,now the black ink 3ebk has stopped working.
I`v replaced 3ebk three times,still no joy.
The common denominator seems to me to be the ink. I've had an iP 5000 running for about 3 yrs. now using genuine Canon inks.
I'm not suggesting using Canon inks but I would definitely suspect the ink that you are using.
The dye-based inks which are your colors are easier on the printhead, the 3eBK is pigment-based and harder on the printhead.

I have Hobbicolors ink in my iP3000 and iP4000 with excellent results but I've been holding off on the iP5000 because it has finer nozzles and frankly I'm chicken.
There, I said it :)

The ink i use is think+ compatible,never had any probs with there ink so far.
Anyone got any ideas. Thanks
Maybe the dye-based inks have been OK ?

Suggest searching this forum for the head cleaning threads and see if you can recover that printhead before buying another.

Forsurchi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
your right on that disgo55, it could be the ink, if its clogged or to thick to handle, but he mentioned that it just stop working. I got the impression that the cartridge wasn't being read by the printer.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Forsurchi said:
I got the impression that the cartridge wasn't being read by the printer.
Yes Forsurchi, quite possible.
More info from the OP would be helpful at this juncture.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Forsurchi & jflan,

As far as I know the BCI-3eBk is not chipped and the printer won't see it. Therefore I cannot understand your comment that the cartridge wasn't being read by the printer. It does not make any sense at all. And besides: the finer nozzles of the IP5000 are only implemented on the dye nozzles for photoprinting, not for the pigment BCI-3eBK for text printing.

Did the topic starter has print out a nozzle check ?

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
As far as I know the BCI-3eBk is not chipped and the printer won't see it. Therefore I cannot understand your comment that the cartridge wasn't being read by the printer. It does not make any sense at all.
Yes, BCI-3eBk is not chipped so the recognition theory for the most part goes out the window.

And besides: the finer nozzles of the IP5000 are only implemented on the dye nozzles for photoprinting, not for the pigment BCI-3eBK for text printing.
I have always thought that iP5000 had finer nozzles for both inks, but I see that it is listed as 1pl/5pl which makes sense to allow the passage of the pigment ink.
Thanks for clearing that up, pharmacist.
Did the topic starter has print out a nozzle check ?
No, I'm not even sure if he can get that far...we need more details on the malfunction to help.

digitalartist71

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
it's from using rappy BLACK ink carts... I don't use them any more...just Canon brand. But the CMY I use generic.

the purging pump inside the printer gets clogged and cannot prime the head once clogged...you have to take printer apart and clear the lins manually....dry hard pieces will come out.... so stop guesssing...it's not the head,a nd its not the waste area...it's the purge lines for purge pump that primes the ink...it cannot create any suction. do a search of my username digitalartist71 and try to find the posts on it and i also have some posts of tearing open a head for a ip3000 (thinking the head was th problem and it wasn't). it's been a few years.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
digitalartist71 said:
it's from using rappy BLACK ink carts... I don't use them any more...just Canon brand. But the CMY I use generic.

the purging pump inside the printer gets clogged and cannot prime the head once clogged...you have to take printer apart and clear the lins manually....dry hard pieces will come out.... so stop guesssing...it's not the head,a nd its not the waste area...it's the purge lines for purge pump that primes the ink...it cannot create any suction. do a search of my username digitalartist71 and try to find the posts on it and i also have some posts of tearing open a head for a ip3000 (thinking the head was th problem and it wasn't). it's been a few years.
digitalartist,
Yes this was my gut feeling.
In a thread like this with limited info, we have gut feeling and guessing :D
Sometimes one is better than the other ;)