iP4500 Suddenly Stopped Printing PGBK Ink

bankerjohn

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Stratman:

I uninstalled everything under "Canon" in my Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs ... then re-booted ... then went through the entire re-install of the Setup CD, including the print head alignment. The two pages that the head alignment printed look "normal" ... with black and blue squares and rectangles .... but I suspect they don't use the PGBK ink!

Good news is, I now have the "Canon My Printer" icon back in the notifications area of my systray, and now I can view the ink levels in My Printer.

Bad news is ... still nothing coming out from the PGBK cartridge. Here's a pop-up I printed ... next to what it looks like on my monitor:

9939_ip4500_pop-up_print.jpg

turbguy:

What is the principle behind the purge unit? Is it like a mini-pump that's supposed to suck on the print head when the print head in in it's "rest" position, to keep the print head "primed" with ink?

Yes, I'm aware there are 2 pads ... here's picture of mine:

9939_ip4500_purge_pads.jpg

I will try flooding them again ... and will turn off the printer so the print heads don't eventually end up in the "rest" position, covering the purge pads. I'll let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes, then report back about the water level.

bankerjohn

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I will try flooding them again ... and will turn off the printer so the print heads don't eventually end up in the "rest" position, covering the purge pads. I'll let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes, then report back about the water level.
Turns out that turning the printer off causes the print head to return to the "rest" position, covering the purge pads. Is there a way to keep the heads from returning to the purge pads while I'm waiting to see if the water disappears?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
You can either leave the cover open, or UNPLUG the printer. If you turn it off, it may still seek the rest position...

The purge system provides a slight negative pressure at the nozzles during cleaning to prime the passageways between the nozzles and the cart.

Wayne

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
Open the cover to move the print head to the middle then pull the power cord. No need to turn it off first.

ADDED: turbguy beat me to the reply.

bankerjohn

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
turbguy said:
You can either leave the cover open, or UNPLUG the printer. If you turn it off, it may still seek the rest position...
I left the cover open in an earlier "test" ... but it eventually returned to the "rest" position ... like maybe after 5 minutes. I noticed that the "power" button is flashing green, so I'm guessing it's still "thinking" ... and will eventually return as it did previously!

I'll try unplugging the printer!

bankerjohn

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
After 15 minutes, the larger pad looks to no longer be completely flooded (I can once again see the rough surface of the pad) .... but the smaller "skinny" one (for the PGBK print head?) looks pretty much like it did when I first flooded it (rough surface of that pad is not visible).

Is my next step to pull the print head and try soaking it in Windex with Ammonia, or plain water and 10% ammonia? .... or what?

Or maybe just buy a replacement printer! ....

I don't want an all-in-one, or one with a wide format, just a printer that prints in BLACK (and occasionally in color) ... Canon recommended their iP4920 ... any better suggestions? Seems like it's almost cheaper to buy inexpensive printers when the ink runs out, than buying the replacement OEM cartridges! Maybe I should just change my default paper to be "Photo Glossy", and use the iP4500 until I use up all the ink I currently have in the closet!

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
First, remove the carts and head, and blot the heat nozzles gently against clean tissue, see if you get bands imprinted from all colors and pigment black. Report what you get.

Go ahead and soak the head in original windex per cleaning instructions elsewhere in the forum (overnight). Allow to dry, re-install and try again. Nozzle prints only!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
bankerjohn said:
After 15 minutes, the larger pad looks to no longer be completely flooded (I can once again see the rough surface of the pad) ....
but the smaller "skinny" one (for the PGBK print head?) looks pretty much like it did when I first flooded it (rough surface of that pad is not visible).
Going on the above information it would seem to suggest to me that one of the tubes has come off the bottom of your purge unit.

Now youll have to decide whether you want to pull your printer apart to service
the purge unit and the waste pads or invest in a new printer.

Pulling your printer apart is not as difficult as it sounds and all that is need is a small clear area time and patience. :fl

Armed with a couple of screwdrivers and maybe rubber gloves and you could have the printer apart is next to no time at all,
I would suggest taking some photos of all the places you removed any screws from it will make it easier to remember for reassembly .

Dont make any decisions straight away dwell on it for a while and then decide If it were me
I would certainly undertake the task because the 4500 is a great printer and worth all the effort to try to fix it,
especially after seeing the nozzle check.

You can get as much help as needed on here to answer all of your difficult questions
before during and after you dissemble your printer, so now its up to you to decide.. :woot

bankerjohn

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I caved .... and bought another used iP4500 printer off eBay! At least now, if I choose to tear into my old printer, I won't be without a printer in the process. Plus, I have another paper tray which I can fill with a different size photo paper.

voncloete

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a canon ip4500 and after several years troublefree printing it sudeenly stopped printing cyan. I came on this website and tried several different suggestions but the thing that worked for me was in two parts;part one- I swirled the plastic bit that the 5 cartridges sit in (there is probably a technical name but for those that don't know it just as I don't I thought a description was best.) in very hot water for about two or three minutes after generously squirting the 5 little spongey bits with with the cartridge cleaner that comes with the inks. (the part just lifts out when you lift the little lever situated on the right). I carefully patted it dry. This helped a bit but then; part two - I did a similar thing with the little sponge part of the cyan cartridge that was causing trouble. I first squirted it with a bit of cleaning fluid then dipped it briefly (about 1 or 2 seconds) in hot water (not the whole cartridge just the sponge part) it went white very quickly for about 2mm so I stopped at that point, then I printed off about 6 or 7 pages and slowly the cyan came back.