IP4500 scratches the paper

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Well there are hard coatings that pizza wheels do not damage and softer ones. On ome printers you can loosen thre screw that holds the pizza wheel tray a litte bit. Cheap ones allow this, more expensive ones do not.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
Lin,

Sorry for my misread, but how can the quality of the chemicals used on the surface of the paper can or can not cause pizza wheels ? I do not understand ? microporous paper is a type of ceramic paper: it is already heavily indentated with very fine pores to absorb the ink. On swellable paper I can understand because this is in fact a type of gel laying on the surface of the paper and this can be compressed together by those pizza wheels to form smalle indentations.
Most of the glossy photo paper that I used are microporous/nanoporous photo paper including those original (OEM) paper mentioned in my above post (which I now mainly used).

I had tried many of those very cheap 3rd party glossy photo paper made from China in the past. These very cheaper version china-made 3rd party glossy photo paper usually tend to lack a layer of protective coating on the surface and the layer of chemical coating which absorb the ink while appear to be dried by the time it reaches the exit wheels, are not as fast-dry as it looks. With heavy ink laydowns on these glossy photo paper and for which the paper has an absence of a layer surface protective coating and when it does not dry fast enough, the exit wheels will leaves track on the surface. It's would cost a lot for these chinese manufacturers to produce paper of equivalent to the OEM paper and the price wouldn't possibily be cheap. To me ILford aren't necessary cheap, they are just slightly cheaper than the OEM paper. While these very cheap china-made glossy photo paper that are packed 100 pieces for a few dollars. Now ask yourself why are the better quality glossy photo paper more expensive than these very cheap china-made 3rd glossy photo paper?

You mentioned that you used swellable paper like Ilford smooth glossy paper, so does your Ilford Smooth glossy paper also exhibit pizza wheels effect since you mentioned that
pharmacist said:
Swellable paper tends to suffer from those "pizza wheels" indentations.
? The Ilford glossy photo paper (which also has very smooth texture) that I used are microporous/nanoporous instant dry which has no sign of pizza wheels when printed and as I had not use swellable paper before so I can't really comment on the swellable type.

tsu3000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi

Would the ILFORD GALERIE CLASSIC GLOSS PAPER be a good alternative to the OEM papers? I have also noticed Ilford also have the cheaper consumer "Inkjet Photo Paper" in various versions eg Premium Plus or Premium Photo. Would these be good alternatives to the Galerie range?

I've also read that "KIRKLAND Glossy Inkjet Photo Paper" is also very good. But I have not tried this paper yet.

Thanks.

pipinof

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I can not find the paper online Kirkland.
Perhaps it is no longer in production?
Where can I buy the paper Kirkland online?
Thank you

tsu3000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pipinof, you can buy Kirkland glossy paper via ebay. Do a search for "kirkland glossy". I found a few suppliers in the UK and US.

Thanks.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
tsu3000 said:
Hi

Would the ILFORD GALERIE CLASSIC GLOSS PAPER be a good alternative to the OEM papers? I have also noticed Ilford also have the cheaper consumer "Inkjet Photo Paper" in various versions eg Premium Plus or Premium Photo. Would these be good alternatives to the Galerie range?

I've also read that "KIRKLAND Glossy Inkjet Photo Paper" is also very good. But I have not tried this paper yet.

Thanks.
On what non-oem photo paper, I don't think I am of any help. I believe other members here who had access to those photo paper at your region could probably help suggest something for you. Good luck with your findings.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I was in a Costco store yesterday and saw that the Kirkland glossy pohotopaper there still. But I did wonder how long Costco will continue to sell them. The entire isle was full of OEM ink cartridges and many different brands of papers in large boxes. The phtotpaper section was a smaller section with maybe a few dozen boxes of this Kirkland glossy photopaper there. I saw nobody on the isle unfortunately. This is not good because Costco is known to stop selling goods that don't sell well. A year ago or two there were always a lot of people browsing on the isle looking for cartridges or papers. Costco used to have Kodak inkjet photopapers too. Not any more. They did not sell well. I wonder if next the entire isle would be gone and replaced with cosmetics or even Christmas gift stockings. That would be a disaster to all of us. I think I will go there again and buy a few boxes of this fabulous photopaper just in case they will be gone forever. If you have a Costco near you go get some. This will keep it being stocked. This Kirkland glossy photopaper is a god given gift to us. They are the best I have ever used. It costs less than $20 for a box of 150 sheets. You can't beat that price too.

I have never experienced piza wheel indents on any photopaper. A few years ago I used a glossy photopaper that took weeks to fully dry. The paper was actually very very good. Extremely glossy and extremely white. It has the brand InkWorks but it is a paper not ink. The only problem was it took forever to dry. The photo it printed looked very wet right out of the printer. The colors were brilliant when the paper looked wet. A few minutes later it looked dry but actually it wasn't. If I store them in transparent protective folders the paper will be stuck in the folder like being glued to it. But there were no piza wheel indents. I believe it is a printer problem. It is easy to prove. Just print the same thing with the same paper on another printer.

pipinof

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I tell my experience;
from few days I have bought an ip4500;
I have stamped some photos on paper ultra epson glossy and they are perfect;
I have made then some presses on cheap photographic paper and I have seen these strange indentations.
Then it depends on the type of paper that is used.