Ip4500 Magenta Gone

Aussieinker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Folks
Am I smelling a rat here, a friend at work bought a 4500 the same time as I did (about 13 Months ago) when I went in to work Monday he commented that his printer was not printing red only yellow this is the exact same problem that my printer had on the weekend. The Magenta cart was still half full in both printers.
I tried the windex in a spare cart, the flushing with warm water, the flushing of the purge pads, another refilled cart, all the normal tricks to no avail.

Am I smelling a rat as this seems very strange as his printer has very light use and mine has a pounding, is there something in the program/printer that plans it to fail. Any good ideas????????????????

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It is probably coincidence but note that both HP and Epson have been taken to task for this sort of stuff. Maybe it's Canons turn.

refilldude

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
are they not printing at all or are the cartridges flashing inside the printer. is it refilled

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
@AussieInker: Well, funny you should ask but one thing that springs to mind is whether there is some environmental factor at work here with the inks.

The key question would be whether you're using the same inks, cartridges, etc... if you are then I'd question if there's a commonality there rather than with the printer itself.

I remember that my iP4200/4300/5200 and so on all had major problems with the Magenta for ages and then as suddenly as it started the problem started to fade, while the Cyan picked up... It made me wonder if the ink itself had some issue with the heat/humidity or pressure at the time... Long shot but something to consider as wild assed ideas :)

Aussieinker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The carts were 3/4 full at the time and my printer had about 30 refills and the other printer had 6 sets of carts (3 canon 3 refills), I have used the same brand of ink in the last printer and that had about 7000 sheets and 500 cd's before it died.
Has anyone else had a printer fail after 13-14 months.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I had two fail;IP3000 and IP5200

The IP5200 started off showing inconsistent results - the nozzle check reflected that too.
Flashing lights suggested that the head was defective - eventually the printer was unresponsive.
I got a replacement head and that immediately failed, presumably the actual fault was the printer and it destroyed the new head.
That's why replacing a head is a coin toss.

The IP3000 just quit.It powered on but was electrically unresponsive.

Less than eighteen months for both printers - the IP5200 had less than a year of use - but it was sitting in a box for a while before it was first used, so the warranty was worthless.