ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
jru said:
ghwellsjr wrote:

Unfortunately, this does not look like a clog, it looks like an electrical problem that cannot be fixed except by getting a new print head.
Is this because of the sharp line between the top yellow portion of his nozzle check which prints solid, and the lower portion that prints much lighter, and the evenness of the lighter section?

If not, can you please explain how you knew this was electrical vs. clog so we can learn?

Thanks so much!
Yes, that plus the fact that the light and dark portions are exactly the same size.

Sometimes the electrical problem can be in the connector on the back of the print head so it is always a good idea to remove the cartridges and print head and make sure none of the contacts aon the carriage are bent, can spring in and out easily and the contacts on the back of the print head are clean.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
pingo said:
I don't have windex, I do have distilled water, 70% isopropyl alcohol and ammonia, which one would be best?
You can use just plain distilled water. If you do mix in ammonia, don't use more than about 5%, it's nasty stuff.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
From a compilation of posts:

Nifty-Stuff.com Pharmacist's cartridge flush/conditioning solution recipe again:

-3 % propylene glycol (or 2 % glycerin)
-20 % isopropyl alcohol
-distilled water up to 100 %

To make this conditioning solution a cleaning solution to dissolve stubborn stains: add 5 drops of concentrated ammonia per 100 ml of this solution. This solution has been tested by several forum members already and they are very happy with it. It also enhances the absorption degree of ink into the sponge after flushing, especially with the difficult pigment based BCI-3eBK/PGI-5Bk cartridge.

Conditioning: after flushing the sponge has difficulty to absorb the ink well and tends to be become a bit hydrofobic (water repellent). By completely immerge and drenching the sponge material with this solution and then blowing as much solution as possible the sponge is revived again. The pigment BCI-3eBK/PGI-5Bk is the most difficult one and using this conditioning solution improves the absorption degree of your favourite refill pigment ink.

Cleaning: fill a cartridge with this solution (with ammonia) and execute a deep cleaning cycle to remove stubborn and tenacious clogging.

20 ml isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol)
80 ml distilled water
10 drops of propylene glycol
(optional: 5 drops of concentrated ammonia)

Ammonia Concentration: if used in cleaning cycle stick with 5 drops per 100 ml and when used to soak printheads externally increase it to 20-25 drops.

Fold a paper towell into a nice thick and even strip and drench it with the cleaning solution and put it under the printhead and let it soak for about 1 hour. After that, execute one cleaning cycle.

25-30 % ammonia: this is concentrated ammonia. If you use household concentration, increase accordingly.

Standard household ammonia in the UK is 9% w/w (weight for weight)

pingo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just filled the CLI-8 yellow tank with 20% isopropyl alcohol 80% distilled water + 5 drops of ammonia (I basically purged the tank with it) then I waited for the liquid to stop dripping out and added some yellow ink. Did 10 cleanings but didn't help so I printed 30 completely yellow pages and sometime in the process refilled with yellow ink. Now I plugged in clean yellow-ink-only tank and again printed 5 yellow pages. Nothing changed, I guess if it was clogged I would at least see some change in pattern but there is none.

My ink is by OCP meant for exactly this model, about 1 year old.
Anything else I can try? I am not buying a third printer, kinda disappointed with it right now.