ip4300, yellow blocked?

hendoben

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I've tried cleaning the printhead a few times, and for the first page or two the yellow will print, but then it stops again. I've been using a CISS for a few years, so I tried a spare cartridge I had lying around and it's the same deal, so i guess that rules out the CISS being the problem.

All the other colours are coming through fine, it's just the yellow. I did google it and read somewhere that the yellow ink dries out quicker than the other colours, so could it be dry ink inside the printhead?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The problem you have could be in several places so dont rule anyone of them out before youre sure.

It could be in your CISS cartridges, the feed tubes, the ink reservoir,
the purge unit, the ink itself and last but not least your print head.

I would suggest you try a new good cartridge first, one that you know to be working properly,
an aftermarket, or refilled OEM cartridge, and then you could rule out the cartridge as not the problem.

An old cartridge from several years ago may not be in the best of condition to deliver
a good enough ink flow to give a good test, so in that respect its not much help to you.

Buy borrow, beg, or steal a new cartridge would be the best place
to start your trouble shooting from and then take it from there.. :)

geezzrcanon

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I would try booting it up in service mode (you can see this on net) do a nozzle check then a b clean if that don't work see if you have air in tubes this can be flushed by telling the printer you have replace the printhead if that don't work then you need a new printhead but you will not get it on warranty if you have used refills

hendoben

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
The Hat said:
The problem you have could be in several places so dont rule anyone of them out before youre sure.

It could be in your CISS cartridges, the feed tubes, the ink reservoir,
the purge unit, the ink itself and last but not least your print head.

I would suggest you try a new good cartridge first, one that you know to be working properly,
an aftermarket, or refilled OEM cartridge, and then you could rule out the cartridge as not the problem.

An old cartridge from several years ago may not be in the best of condition to deliver
a good enough ink flow to give a good test, so in that respect its not much help to you.

Buy borrow, beg, or steal a new cartridge would be the best place
to start your trouble shooting from and then take it from there.. :)
Thanks for the reply. I've tried two different cartridges now, and I'm getting the same results. The cartridges aren't the most recent to be honest, so i tried another colour from the same batch and that colour came through no problem. The results have been pretty consistent too in that the yellow will come through for two nozzle checks after i've given the printhead a clean...then fades and stops coming through completely.

What's the best, most thorough(and noob friendly) way of cleaning the printhead?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
If you get a good nozzle check, and it fades away, it's probably not a clogged printhead, but more likely a flow issue with the cart(s). Try a new yellow cart as suggested. Also, make sure the black rubber gasket that the cart seals against in the printhead seems to be in good condition (and present!).

You could try dripping a drop or two of Original Windex window cleaner in the yellow pick-up "point" on the printhead, re-insert the cart, and see if that makes a difference.

Wayne

hendoben

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
turbguy said:
You could try dripping a drop or two of Original Windex window cleaner in the yellow pick-up "point" on the printhead, re-insert the cart, and see if that makes a difference.

Wayne
Tried that and it worked for a bit, four nozzle checks before it starts deteriorating again.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
hendoben said:
turbguy said:

Wayne
Tried that and it worked for a bit, four nozzle checks before it starts deteriorating again.
I still think its worth your while getting a new cartridge to test your ink flow
before you end up doing something youll regret to your print head..

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I've had to shell out for an occasional cartridge when I had a problem I couldn't solve, and it's well worth it.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Your symptoms seem to indicate a venting problem with the cart. Has the tear-away tape been removed from the yellow cart? If not, tear it off! If so, try blowing lightly into the air vent exposed by the tape (seal your lips to the cart get some real pressure) and see if ink flows out the outlet. It should. Do it over an area where ink drops don't matter...

hendoben

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
back again. i tried putting some cleaning fluid in the printhead which actually worked and i was able to print fine again, until now. hadn't used the printer for a few days so maybe that had something to do with it?

going to try a new cartridge soon. but i do need to get the silicon seals that go in the printhead, but i'm having a hard time finding somewhere online that sells spares..so does anyone know where i might be able to buy them from, somewhere in Europe preferably? thanks.