ip4300 blinking 15 times

dwolf

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I get an error .... ink tank error, replace ink tanks on which ink lamps are off.
These tanks are original canon tanks refilled once.. They worked fine after refill and then it began blinking. It seems to be the yellow and large black.. I have a ip4200 in the house and tried putting them in there and got the same problem with both carts in that printer. I did nothing to the carts right before this problem. Any ideas before I have to go out and blow good money on two new canon carts ??

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Both of your printers probably have determined that data in the chips on your cartridges contain error. This probably happened when last time one of your printer (ip4300?) stored data (ink nozzles firing count) onto the chip it did not record the new data correctly. It may have done it twice as you have two cartridges that have the problem. The stored data are encrypted. It could be just bad parity or CRC error on the recorded data. When the printer reads it and detects bad data it will simply refuse to recognize them as OEM cartridges.

You should call Canon, especially if your printer is still within one year warranty period. Tell them the printer has destroyed two ink cartridges, each one became unusable. Because the problem is not always present it could do it again any time in the future so you should demand Canon to send you a new printer. Or at least they should send you two new cartridges destroyed by the printer. If however you lose any more cartridges again you will want to replace the printer, presumably from Canon under warranty.

sarond

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Have you tried holding down the resume button for over 5 seconds? You need to do this to disable the error for the current tank that is giving the error (and also ink monitoring on that particular tank). This will probably void your warranty as well.

Also make sure that there is nothing blocking the LED's on the cartridges.

Damo

dwolf

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
yes held down the button.. and also made sure the cart is sitting well.. cleaned the chip... no change. Went to Staple to just buy another yellow and at $18 , I don't think so.. I know I can get it a little cheaper

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious your yellow cartridge is defective now. Canon should replace it for you. if the printer is till under warranty. The cartridge was a part of the printer, wasn't it? If it ever happen again (losing one more cartridge the same way) you deserve to get a replacement printer from Canon.

This is how your yellow cartridge went bad. Whenever you print the printer updates ink usage in the micro chip. This ink usage informnation is nothing but really just print head nozzle firing count. The micro chip is really a custom serial EEPROM. The data is encrypted before it is written into the EEPROM. The data in the EEPROM is read whenever the printer checks ink level. It reads ink consumption data and also reads the id of the chip (the cartridge). If the data is corrupted (incorrect formation of data or parity/CRC error) the printer simply refuse to print and turns on the blinking light to tell you that you need to use a good ink cartridge.

The only way the cartridge gets a corrupted data is if you tried to tamper with it (which is not the case of course) or the printer/EEPROM had an error in storing or reading the data. It could be the the printer or the EEPROM that is defective. So you deserve to get a warranty replacement. Call Canon. I believe you will receive at least a new yellow cartridge.

dwolf

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you for writing to us.

I have processed your request for the replacement tanks to be sent.
They should arrive within three to five business days.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your
iP4300.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Well can't complain about their service..

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Canon customer service sometimes is that good. Don't think Epson is anywhere near that. HP customer service is good too.