ip4200 vs ip4000. Refilling? Carts?

ip4000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm considering buying the ip4200.

Can I use same carts on the 4200 as in 4000?

What about ink? Do I have to buy separate ink for the 4200?

I've read that ip4200 has some chip to prevent refilling? Is that true and can it be overridden?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
ip4000 said:
I'm considering buying the ip4200.

Can I use same carts on the 4200 as in 4000?
No...

The iP4000 uses the CL-3 and CL-6 cartridge types
The iP4200 used the CL-5 and CL-8 cartridge types..

What about ink? Do I have to buy separate ink for the 4200?
The ink is a different type called "Chromalife 100" or some such... You can buy it in bulk from a few sources though.

I've read that ip4200 has some chip to prevent refilling? Is that true and can it be overridden?
The chips are ostensibly there to provide better protection against the cartridge being empty and burning out the printhead.. but obviously it's going to affect how well you can refill carts as well.

There's plenty of discussion about this and I'm pretty sure some misinformation too but at present the practice is understood to be:
- Printer cartridge registers the ink cart is low
- Printer cartridge registers the ink cart is empty
- Attempt #1 to continue using an "empty" cartridge will show a warning which can be cancelled
- Attempt #2 to continue will show another warning
- Attempt #3 is the last chance and will display a warning that your printer will be marked out of warranty and will no longer display ink levels if you continue to use the "empty" cartridge.
- If you continue from this point you will have an out of warranty printer which no longer shows ink levels at all but that still works.

I've seen one person who seems to think that the printer uses the new LED markers under each cart' to detect ink levels which I'm 95% sure is wishful thinking. They assumed that keeping the printer carts topped up will avoid this problem but again I'm 95% sure this is unlikely.

Bottom line, if you are intending to use the new iP4200 with bulk ink and refill then you'll need to organise yourself to regularly check the levels and refill to avoid running out and damaging the print head. You'll also have to accept that your printer will cost you money to get it fixed if it ever requires a service.

There are NO 3rd party (non-Canon) cartridge available for the printer and having spoken to a manufacturer for these cartridges in Europe I'm reliably informed it could take 9 months or longer to create alternative chips.

Hope that helps...

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
While websnails post is correct and spot on on advice; But I will correct one factual error.

The ip4000 takes a large pigmented text black--a BCI-3eblk--not a cl-3
and the colors are BCI-6's not Cl-6s---and these are dye based with color consisting
cyan, yellow, magenta, and a photoblack.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Osage said:
While websnails post is correct and spot on on advice; But I will correct one factual error.

The ip4000 takes a large pigmented text black--a BCI-3eblk--not a cl-3
and the colors are BCI-6's not Cl-6s---and these are dye based with color consisting
cyan, yellow, magenta, and a photoblack.
Eeep...

Damn, and the docs said I was making great progress... :p

Thanks for the catch and correction Osage... :)

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Canon is testing the reaction of the market with a few new printers with chipped cartridges. If these printers are quickly accepted by the market they will roll out more and replace most unchipped printers. Guess who will be the loser? If we buy the chipped printers we will be the losers. If Canon insists in rolling out more chipped printers it will be the loser. We can anticipate HP and Epson to take the market share back from Canon. There is no doubt Canon gained market share because of its unchipped printer. Availability of 3rd paty supply actually helped them selling more printers and capture more market chare. Now Canon is getting greedier. Don't buy those new chipped printers. Canon will get the message. During the last Christmas season each time I went to Fry's Electronics I saw Epson and HP printers getting sold all the time. But ip4200 was mostly sitting there accumulating dust with few buyers.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
hpnetserver said:
During the last Christmas season each time I went to Fry's Electronics I saw Epson and HP printers getting sold all the time. But ip4200 was mostly sitting there accumulating dust with few buyers.
Unfortunately it's going to come down to people knowing that and holding off long enough for Canon to realise it's not worked.

I'm not convinced it'll go away to be honest and given the way they ditched all the old stock so quickly I'd be surprised if they're not being sold pretty quickly, or at least gathering pace over time...

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
It would be interesting to get marketing numbers. But Epson somewhat went off half cocked and tried chips
first----Now Canon has done the same but learned their lesson fron Epson as their chips are much harder to break.------and it looks lke the future trend of the ink jet printer industry as a whole-----shut out both the refiller and any third party cartridge vendors----and force all to use OEM cartridges.

Just saw a post to the effect that the nifty stuff forums boasts almost a thousand members. Like wow that huge in an ink jet printer market place that sell millions of printers each year---might even be pushing a tenth of a per cent.--------so three questions come up (1) Why are the printer manufacters so worried about us?------most people use OEM cartridges anyway. (2) What are we in these forums doing to get our message across to the vast masses------because any boycotts are not effective if you can't educate consumers and impact sales. (3) If Canon gets away with this stunt what will be the future of inkjet technology? Will the capitalist ideals of a competive marketplace drive technology or will the law of turkey domonate; namely no matter how bad a given competitor is there is always someone worse.-----which is exactly what we have in the cell phone market and many other markets.

As it is now, even with the chips--oem vs oem cartridges--Canon still leads in consumable economy. Look for all to backpedal at accelerating rates in the future.