ip4000 - No photo colors. Printhead failure? Weird nozzle check ...

yupkime

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi everybody.
Anybody seen this before?

I have a Canon ip4000 that is definitely not clogged based on experience and the nozzle check, but colors don't seem to want to mix.
Text black works fine.

Nozzle check shows that dye black is fine and other colors are fine except for the secondary cyan and magenta line.
What are these lines specifically?

Nozzle check and picture output looks like below with yellow dominating since other colors are absent.
Cartridges have been swapped and I have tried another identical printhead which worked fine.

Is this printhead burned out somehow? Contact problems?

nozzle check
11vlf0w.jpg

printed
2dhv289.jpg

original
i2t0lc.jpg

Hopefully someone knows what is happening?
Thanks!

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
well, it looks like an electrical problem. I believe that the 2nd lines of colour on the nozzle check are the lines produced using the smaller droplet sizes. So, if they are not flowing at all, im tempted to say that its an electrical problem with the print head. It certainly doesnt look like a blockage.

Token

yupkime

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
I guess printing text does not use the smaller droplet size.

The printer doesn't give any error messages so I wonder if there is some way to reactivate those nozzles.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
yupkime,...The two missing colors are the Photo Cyan and the Photo Magenta. Your printer only has 5 ink carts so the printhead has additional nozzles bank that creates the Photo Cyan & Magneta. They are 2 picoliter nozzle size for this printer. It is entirely possible that those nozzle banks are clogged,... however, it is also very probably to 100% that the printhead is bad. I come to this conclusion because you have indicated that a separate printhead has worked fine,... so there is no FLOW problem with any of the inks. You can continue to mess with it but I think you need to use the new head you have.

yupkime

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey there Trigger37. I think that diagnosis is bang on right.

The only thing I wasn't too sure about was what the extra cyan and magenta lines were for but that makes a lot of sense and matches with the output I get when using photo paper.

Kind of a weird printhead malfunction but at least black text works fine.
I'll keep my eyes open for a new printhead I guess.

If anyone wants this printhead for cheap then let me know! :)

Thanks everybody for the help. Best forum ever!