iP4000 missing alternate lines

gearednz

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4000
My printer suddenly is troubled since last used and would print two lines, then miss two lines alternatively all down the page. Carried out a nozzle check and the 3eBK mesh shows only half height (see file). The rest of the colours are OK - the attached file doesn't show 6C and 6M but that is my scanning not the printer !
I have changed carts (OEM) and carried out clean and deep clean several times. Also cleaned print head with windex solution but no change. I am not a heavy user of the printer just once or twice per week on average. Previous use, about a week ago had perfect results.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• iP40000001.pdf
    235.3 KB · Views: 436

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It looks like the bottom half of the black nozzles have stopped firing and that is down to electrical failure, and there is nothing further that you can do to correct this problem.

If it was clogged nozzles then you would not have such a clean break in the printed pattern, for some unknown reason the print head has failed and this can happen to anyone anytime and only a new print head can fix the problem for you, sorry..

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
However, there is a work-around that you could use to get printing to work again and that is to tell your printer that you are printing on a photo paper such at matte and it will use your photo black cartridge. It won't know that you are really printing on plain paper and the printout won't have the durability of the pigment black ink but this may help you avoid having to decide on a new printer right away.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Agree with Hat...print head is damaged beyond repair.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The parts number for the iP4000 print head is QY6-0049, but I think it very difficult or impossible to find one. Beware of refurbished print heads sold as new. Some of these print heads have been defective out of the package.

gearednz

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4000
Thank you Hat and Turbguy you have confirmed my fears. I think perhaps I may invest in a new Canon.
Thanks also to ghwellsjr for the work around. It worked and allowed me to print off a couple of wanted docs. Did it slowly though but I can live with that for a while.

Latest posts