IP4000 ink level never moves.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
pebe said:
That's what I've always assumed, and that's how my 4000 works. But how does Panos get the half-full message in his MP750?
Actually I have my doubts on this score..

I have an MP750 and even when I had a CIS system installed that kept the carts pretty much at full they were all showing as half full so it's really not an accurate indicator at all..

My guess, and it is JUST a guess.. is that the indicator shows the "Full" level on the LCD for any carts that have just been replaced... Once you've printed a couple of things I think the system uses a little basic logic to say that you've used some and as a result up comes what most people are describing as the "half full" message.

Steph

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
stevedrink

i got a canon i965.

very similar situation with my ink level indicator.

mine has a graphic dialogue box showing the levels of ink as they go down (well it used to). however there seems to be no communication between this dialogue box (computer) and the printer itself.

all cartridges are new and the indicator is all over the place, not reading them as full, but some half empty, others full and another nearly empty.

i just learn to live with it. just keeping an eye on the ink level of the actual cartridge rather than trusting the indicator. it's a real pain in the arse but someone is yet to come up with a solution.

for others who read this, can anyone out there help us?!!! :)

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the canon ink monitor (pre-chipped carts) only shows full when the previously removed cart triggered the "empty" signal and is replaced by a cart that has enough ink to cover the little prism in the bottom of the reservoir area. The printer assumes that you print till a cart registers empty and then replace it with a new full OEM Canon cart. It then guesses the ink level until the reservoir area is empty and the prism is exposed at which time it gives the ink low signal. It estimates the ink usage for an small number of additional prints and then gives you the ink out signal. Anything between full and low ink is a rough estimate, and it only resets itself as I've described above.