iP4000 fun and games...

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Hi guys,

I've gotten hold of a couple of iP4000 units that were customer returns and given this time I knew they weren't going to work 100% I'm not sore.. just curious as to how to get these fixed up.

Unit #1 is a classic case of nozzle clog so I'm going to do the whole 'sit head on a paper towel of cleaning fluid' routine to sort that one.. Should be easy. (Famous last words ;))

What had me stumped though was unit #2. This one is printing colours VERY strangely... I was just typing out a request for help when it dawned on me that there might be something wrong with the cartridges being in the wrong position, etc.. but it was printing out light magenta fine... what was weird was that magenta came out a strange brown... So what could it be?...

... I'll tell you... It seems that Magenta and Photo Magenta are not the same thing... Some poor schmo' has obviously bought the wrong type of cartridge when they needed a replacement.. Not realised the difference and found about a month later after some 10 prints or so, that it's printing stuff as brown and green instead of reds...

I'm just about killing myself laughing here... :D :D :D

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Grandad35 said:
Websnail,

Don't overlook cross-contamination as a possible source of strange colors.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=347
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=103
Thanks Grandad, as it went that was what I thought was happening to start with but I checked everything out and couldn't find any reason to suspect that..

Having compared the output with my MP750 (same printer unit) I've found that swapping in a regular Magenta cart has resolved the issue and we're cooking on gas* :)

*Northern expression here in the UK for "all good" :)