IP4000 and i865 whats the difference?

bsanotrun

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
hi all
i have been looking for a good used ip4000, but i have been offered an i865,
i cant see much difference between the two looking at the tec spec apart from having a compliantly different case design.
What am i missing if anything?
thanks
Mike

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I believe they use the same print head so they will print the same but the iP4000 provides auto duplex printing which I don't think the i865 allows. I really like to be able to print booklets on my iP4000 and MP760/MP780 printers.

bsanotrun

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
I believe they use the same print head so they will print the same but the iP4000 provides auto duplex printing which I don't think the i865 allows. I really like to be able to print booklets on my iP4000 and MP760/MP780 printers.
Ok thanks i have no need for duplex printing so thats ok,
was the i series a cheaper version to the IP series when new?
i see in your sig you have a i860 do you know what difference is between that and the i865

mike

errante

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think that i860 was the american version, without cd adapter and cd tray, so it was not equipped to print cds directly. I had an i865, and the IP4000 was a later (newer) model, but sharing the same printhead.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The i series of Canon printers were the last to use the BCI-3 series of color inks. And the succeeding ip pixma series featured both the sleeker black pixma common case design and also introduced the BCI-6 series of color inks. The color may not be radically different than the older BCI-3's, but it was something advertising could hype at the time as new and improved.

But still over the years, the common standard case design of of the pixma series is still present today and has probably saved Canon a bundle in manufacturing costs. As for me I always regularly visit various good will stores, and to date have only seen one ip pixma, I was hoping it was an ip3000, ip4000, or ip5000 at first glance, but bah it was like a chipped ip1700 instead.

As for our OP in Mike, run don't walk to grab that i865.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Thats a bit strange to hear as my i865 still uses BCI-6s but it does however use the 3e pigment.
Its pretty old now but works perfectly fine for me and may it stay that way its a lovely printer.. :)

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Osage said:
The i series of Canon printers were the last to use the BCI-3 series of color inks. And the succeeding ip pixma series featured both the sleeker black pixma common case design and also introduced the BCI-6 series of color inks. The color may not be radically different than the older BCI-3's, but it was something advertising could hype at the time as new and improved.

But still over the years, the common standard case design of of the pixma series is still present today and has probably saved Canon a bundle in manufacturing costs. As for me I always regularly visit various good will stores, and to date have only seen one ip pixma, I was hoping it was an ip3000, ip4000, or ip5000 at first glance, but bah it was like a chipped ip1700 instead.
The "I" series preceded the "IP" series but did use the bci-6 carts. I've used i960 printers for many years. My ip5000 printer also uses bci-6 carts as well as the bci-3eBK pigment based carts.

Osage - if you are in an area that has Craig's list, Keep checking the listings for Canon printers in the computer section daily. If I wanted to travel half an hour out of San Francisco there was a "new" ip5000 printer in it's factory sealed box available for $70! I did pick up a nearly new ip4500 for $40 and an ip4300 that prints perfectly for $25. I had the seller do a test print in my presence before buying. Printheads are still available for both as well.

bsanotrun

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
well i went to pick it up tonight it's not the best looking of beasts but it was free which is good considering the price that second-hand ip4000 go for.
reason for being free, been sitting for some time unused, so Black text is not printing at all.
time to see how good i am at nozzle unblocking.
Thanks for all your help
Mike