ip3000 (Arthritic)

sneezer2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
mp610
I have an ip3000 that's getting a bit long in the tooth - initially installed 02/10/2005 and 9000 pages. It has a new print head and
has been taken apart to clean the absorbent pads. It prints just fine except I just got my first 5100 error on an auto duplex
page. Cleared that and went on to print a 38 page duplex job unattended.

So there's not a lot of trouble but it does creak and groan a bit.

I'd like to open it up and operate it without the cabinet shell. Does anyone have experience with this? I know there are a couple of
interlock switches and I feel that if they can be defeated, this should be possible.

Three things I'd like to accomplish by doing this:

1) Rectify the rheumatoid sounds. If I can see it operating without the shell I should be able to find if there is anything
slightly misaligned and correct that. Also if I can see what it's doing when it sounds off I can probably add a little
lubrication to make the rest of its life a little more comfortable.

2) Observe the duplex paper path. When I removed the sheet that "caused" the 5100 it looked as if there was nothing wrong
but I don't really know. Observing the paper path should make it possible to determine if there
may be more problems.

3) Degunk the purge unit now that I've seen some posts on that topic. And observe the workings when it's doing this and
that. I'd rather get first experience with that kind of thing on this machine than on a newer one.

Thanks to anyone who has this experience and would like to share it!

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
sneezer2

Couple of weeks ago I dismantled a IP4600 to fix a valve cam sensor error, after that I used a bit the printer without side panels and top case, to be sure I solved the problem. I had to fix in place the top cover sensor and front door sensor (and darken the room to avoid cartridge error) and it worked just fine.
So it is possible what you want. However, in long run consider all the dust that will enter and stick to oiled surfaces.

sneezer2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
mp610
@gigigogu

Thanks for your comment. I'm sure I have a front door sensor to defeat but I'm not sure about top cover
as I always seem to be able to operate with the top cover open. Were these switches that you can secure
in place or magnetic reed switches? I don't understand the need to darken the room. How would light cause an error?
And I won't worry about dust as I don't intend to operate it any longer than necessary before putting the
panels back.

It does seem about what I want to know apart from differences between ip4600 and my ip3000. Maybe not much.

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
A bit strange about being able to operate with top cover open, in normal usage at opening of top door the carriage should move to cartridge replacement position. The switch is on top, right side, at about 2/3 from front.
The front door switch is on front side, near bottom and near the panel with buttons and USB connector.
The switches are simple mechanical ones, a bit of adhesive tape would be enough.

The thing with darken room is not applicable for you (only for chipped carts).

sneezer2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
mp610
Yes, about my brain. I do know that switch. For some reason I was thinking about the inner front door but of course that has nothing
to do with the cabinet shells. Well, it could be that switch is bad.

Thanks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
sneezer2
If youre having a problem with your duplex printing its usually down to the paper feed sensor.
Its not that easy to see but its a tiny little finger that sticks up into the paper path
and can sometimes get stuck or jammed in the wrong direction.

That is way it is imperative never to pull a jammed sheet out of any printer backwards
because of one of these sensors may get misaligned in the process and not work again.

I wouldnt worry about the racket that your printer is making just be happy its still going,
if its not broke dont fix it, (the older the fiddle the sweeter the tune).

I once had an Epson printer (I think it was a C88) which had a print count of over 25000 sheets and
it sound it like an old Boris Karloff movie when printing, I only replaced it because it was just too slow.

Some of the newer Canon printers have a light sensor on the top its right beside the lid switch
and if it is covered along with the lid switch then the printer will work happily with the top fully open.

I think your just looking for an excuse to get a new one and feed your addiction for another little printer;
go on admit it youre like the rest of us addicts beyond help.. :fl :lol:

sneezer2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
mp610
@ The Hat:

Thanks for your helpful comments. Addiction - for sure. Excuse to get a new one - working on that.

For now though, I would be more pleased to be able to use this little guy for another 9000 pages
and don't see (yet) why not.

I especially appreciate the info on duplex printing and the paper feed sensor. Actually, I've only had
this trouble once and immediately went on to print a 38 page doc in auto duplex with no problem.
My real purpose in wanting to run this ip3000 "bare" is to collect exactly this type of info, partly
by observation of what really happens inside. I did pull the "jammed" sheet "out the back door"
if that's what you mean but I'm not really sure it was jammed. Apparently no damage though
and I'll be careful after this.

I may or may not have any light sensors. Will have to look. I've got 5 rather geriatric Canons
and that suits me just fine as these do everything I need and then some and I don't like the
newer ones anyway. In fact these 5, with a little TLC, could very well last as long as I do.
Not sure my "heirs" will appreciate the effort though.

Could you explain in a bit more detail the location of this "tiny little finger" so that I can go
looking for it. Is it shown on a diagram in any of the manuals?

Thanks again.

sneezer2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
mp610
"The older the fiddle, the sweeter the tune"

That being the case, perhaps with the aid of a tuning fork and a pencil, I could compose
a "Cantata for Arthritic Canons".