Ip221 cartridge question, TIA

icarr757

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
So I left my spare set of 221 color cartridges sitting out, empty, totally forgot about them, and did not see them again til I got back from vacation. I refilled them, and they seemed fine, but when I needed to swap them back into the printer they are "spotty" at best. For most prints if I do not run a print check first the color is usually haphazard (especially they magnetta). I am guessing the cartridges dried out, I went and purchased a new set and prints come out fine (not the printer, cool)!

Just wondering if anyone knows if it is worth trying to salvage a set of 221's or should I just drain the ink out of them, and cut my losses? Also, whats the best way to store refilled 220/221, and when you refill them, should you leave some space in the reservour, or fill them full to the top?

Thanks!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I certainly would salvage the cartridge set. Just flush the cartridges, like you would do if you bought a set of used cartridges.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
icarr757 said:
So I left my spare set of 221 color cartridges sitting out, empty, totally forgot about them, and did not see them again til I got back from vacation. I refilled them, and they seemed fine, but when I needed to swap them back into the printer they are "spotty" at best. For most prints if I do not run a print check first the color is usually haphazard (especially they magnetta). I am guessing the cartridges dried out, I went and purchased a new set and prints come out fine (not the printer, cool)!

Just wondering if anyone knows if it is worth trying to salvage a set of 221's or should I just drain the ink out of them, and cut my losses? Also, whats the best way to store refilled 220/221, and when you refill them, should you leave some space in the reservour, or fill them full to the top?

Thanks!
When you remove a cartridge from your printer always put the orange clip back onto the bottom again securing it with a rubber band.
This will keep your cartridges in good condition for a very long time and they can be refilled without any problems whatsoever anytime later.

If you have an ink flow problem with one of your cartridges you can save the ink if you wish but dont put it back into the refill bottle again
leave it in the syringe for reuse later and then you can wash the problem cartridge clean.

When I refill my cartridges I always leave a little air at the top of the reservoir usually 75% full
and that works fine for me, remember to reset the cartridge before you refill it.. :)