IP 4200 refills

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
i have yet to refill my 4200,however that should happen soon. by now there should be several people that have been refilling these carts. it has been said that once you refill a cli cart and bypass the low ink warning, the printer will operate at a slower pace. can anyone confirm this or is just canon techs talking garbage

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have been refilling my iP4200s for quite a while now. Although I have not made any stopwatch measurements, I don't believe my printing is any slower now that my ink monitor is shut off and my guarantee is delclared gone.

Perhaps someone just thought up this rumor? We do get false info spread first as supposition and later it can become reported as if it were truth.

Websnail, you refill several iP4200s. What do you think about the slow-down suggestions?

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
canonfodder said:
I have been refilling my iP4200s for quite a while now. Although I have not made any stopwatch measurements, I don't believe my printing is any slower now that my ink monitor is shut off and my guarantee is delclared gone.

Perhaps someone just thought up this rumor? We do get false info spread first as supposition and later it can become reported as if it were truth.
I do not believe this was based on rumor. My memory of the discussion at the time was that it was Canon stated the fact somewhere , (perhaps in the Manual?) , perhaps to disuade "Business Users " from being frugal, (time is money).

I have never investigated the comparison of duration times of print either with ink monitoring enabled or disabled , I believe there is a discrepancy, but one so insignificant , (I can certainly live with it ), it does not unduly affect normal home use.

All of my Canon printers have been over-ridden , (for a long time), so it would be difficult to check, unless I installed genuine carts which were not "empty", to re-enable ink monitoring, and presumably the correct printing duration ,and then compare, "before" and "after"

I am sorry that I cannot be more specific or factual on the origin of this fact/rumor/theory, but it has not appeared to detract anyway from my use of the printers.

keastman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I believe I read that on Canon's web site today.

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
Atlantic Inkjet has been selling oem refilled carts with reset chips for a few months. They are charging 7.49 for the CLI-8 carts and 7.99 for the PGI-5 cart.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
ok so do we think that resetters will soon be made available for these carts, just like the epsons

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
At least one resetter is marketed for the CLI-8 cartridges which the iP4200 and some other Canon printers use.

The catch is the price. At $1600 USD it is aimed at commercial refillers like Atlantic Inkjet. It doesn't look like a low cost resetter will do the job.

Canon is already fighting back by making changes in the chip programming in the newer printers coming out. It looks like the resetter engineers may have some job security.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
There is also a reset method for about $45.00 on ebay. made in Germany. It consists of a chip that you pace in the printer on top of the chip contacts. They claim that you can then use any refill, even BCI-6 carts in these printers. I don't know if this is true..anyone have experience with this??

Check out auction #120172509367

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I don't have one of the chipped cart printers, but I did look at the carts. They have molded recesses on the bottom edges that fit into printhead molded bulges. I don't think the bci-6 carts would fit.