Intro and question...

Grey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm Grey from Singapore. It's a small island country in Asia (not China) and I'm a photographer + undergraduate in the local university :)

I've recently just started printing as part of my new workflow due to a great deal from a local shop. I got myself a 9500 II for about 530USD with a ton of paper (50 sheets of 14x17 50sheets 10x12 Canon Semi Gloss and 4 packs of 5 pieces of A4 sized Harman papers.)

I just bought a set of inks from I.S. via Precision Colors. Can't wait :)

Anyway I was just curious what kind of folks run around this forum, seeing that everyone has so many printers... :lol:
Are you all printing people with businesses or just printing fanatics/photographers.

Anyway nice to see a friendly forum here. So much better and helpful than most places I've been. Cheerios! Got to sleep. Its almost 2am here and I have an exam in 7 hours time.

Catch you all soon! :)
Grey

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I'm just a guy that didn't want to spend a lot of money on ink.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Grey said:
Hi everyone!

I'm Grey from Singapore. It's a small island country in Asia (not China) and I'm a photographer + undergraduate in the local university :)

I've recently just started printing as part of my new workflow due to a great deal from a local shop. I got myself a 9500 II for about 530USD with a ton of paper (50 sheets of 14x17 50sheets 10x12 Canon Semi Gloss and 4 packs of 5 pieces of A4 sized Harman papers.)

I just bought a set of inks from I.S. via Precision Colors. Can't wait :)

Anyway I was just curious what kind of folks run around this forum, seeing that everyone has so many printers... :lol:
Are you all printing people with businesses or just printing fanatics/photographers.

Anyway nice to see a friendly forum here. So much better and helpful than most places I've been. Cheerios! Got to sleep. Its almost 2am here and I have an exam in 7 hours time.

Catch you all soon! :)
Grey
Welcome to our forum. It is a friendly place by design. You can read the rules to see that we encourage friendly discussions, attempting to answer all questions either basic or complex, and we discourage participants who become unkind or abraisive in their responses. Anyone who persists in unpleasant behavior is banned from participating.

Participants vary - Newbies with basic questions to people in various professions related to inkjet priners who are happy to share their knowledge and everything in between.. As Ghwellsjr wrote, all are intent on spending less for ink and printing more. Printer maintenance and repair are also important issues that are covered here.

Grey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
:D Great to be part of this! I think its awesome that we've such an interesting community here and we all come from various places.

I have a question about 3rd party inks actually. Are the inks here really archival to similar standards as OEM inks? I'm thinking about printing on Harman papers, especially the Baryta Smooth which is sold at a very reasonable price here.

Since I've started printing I thought of "selling" printing services to remove the Lucia ink from my 9500ii at cost price so that the OEM ink doesn't get "wasted" printing random things. I realised that even at cost price for OEM, I could actually make some small change with the 3rd party inks. Wondering if I could really tell potential people buying prints from me in the future that the prints are archival. :)

What are you guys' experience? I'm using IS inks. I've asked Mike this question before, he said that it is archival beyond my lifetime :) Just thought I'd hear from more people:thumbsup

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The difference between the dye ink and the pigment is its longevity thats why most professionals prefer to use it,
Mike is loved by most of us on this forum and I also take his words to be true.. :love

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Welcome Grey:) I use a pro9500 with IS inks too & they print up really well but there's some bronzing/ gloss differencial on the more glossy papers. This is quite common for pigment inks so most photographers use the less glossy papers & particularly the good quality non glossy art papers. If you are going to sell prints then you might have to invest in a monitor calibration & printer profiling tool such as the Colormunki, this will give you a more consistent workflow & predictable printing output.
Here's a link to a long thread about trying to get rid of bronzing/gloss differential on the more glossy papers with the pro9500 & we have had good success with the methods talked about.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8400

Grey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Rod, yea I've read that thread. But I don't think I will be getting a 2nd printer for dedicated GO printing yet. I was wondering if anyone tried paint it on with rollers like varnishes. Any success with such primitive method? :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Grey said:
Hi Rod, yea I've read that thread. But I don't think I will be getting a 2nd printer for dedicated GO printing yet. I was wondering if anyone tried paint it on with rollers like varnishes. Any success with such primitive method? :)
You dont need a second printer to test out the GO at all.

Just change your MBK cartridge and replace it with a new MBK cartridge filled with GO and you can use that instead.
It works just as effective as a dedicated printer does but you wont be able to print on plain or matte paper while you have this cartridge fitted..

Grey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
cool, didn't think of that... I'll probably get it in my 2nd shipment. wish i had read the forum more before I ordered, would've gotten it packed with the other inks